I HATE my design job...

The thing is your are getting experience for your CV so its a difficult choice to make. I would go with the coffee shop and let the guy know your available for contract work. Some of these old guys can be as inflexible as iron.

Current situation

Hi Laura,
I am a mentor at a College of Art and we have just had a fantastic set of results for this years Degree
Show, One taking Best in Show at 'New Blood' at D&AD London (for the 3rd year running).

I always advocate putting an online portfolio, blog together etc and network as much as possible
Linkedin etc. Cargo and Behance are a good way to network.

Look around at studios's you feel are doing work you may have an affinity or synergy with, produce a
creative CV. (Not the HR CV type) aim it at the people you want to talk to.

Never send to 'info@' call the Studio/Agenccy and find out who the Creative Head is and get
the email address to send off a short, creative and interesting communication. Ask a couple of
questions so they have a reason to get back to you...NEVER give up. Build your portfolio up,
keep to 8 to 10 pieces. Look at YouTube and look at Tim atTM marketing in Dallas for his views on
what to put in a portfolio...interesting.

Don't forget, you are not a Coffee server, you are a Graphic Designer
who just happens to serve coffee for a little while.

Good Luck. Remember an old Geordie saying 'Shy Bairns get nowt!' Go for it.

Best
JohnW

Whilst working for him are you producing the kind of stuff you'd put in a portfolio and present to a top ad agency at interview? If the answer is no then you're not any worse off working in a coffee shop.

I think this is sound advice, because if you are not furthering your career, then what is the point? Whether you are able to determine whether your portfolio is being enhanced might well be the subject of another thread.

Hi Laura,

Your situation sounds really awful! How has it turned out since you last posted?

As mentioned the lack of a contract isn't going to help legal situation, but even so it might be worth going to Citizens Advice since he was the one who didn't want to write up a contract.

At the moment any job is better than no job just to survive sort of thing, but like many have said here just get out there! Unfortunately from the sounds of the work you have been told to do there you won't have benefited much in terms of Portfolio work, however make some stuff up on your own; redesign some logos, make some adverts, just try and create a vast portfolio which essentially shows what you can do! That's what a Portfolio is after all isn't it?!

Anyway! I hope you find some proper work soon! You sound determined enough, it's just a shame you have been used in such a dodgy way! Not every where is like that!

Hi Laura,

Your situation sounds really awful! How has it turned out since you last posted?

As mentioned the lack of a contract isn't going to help legal situation, but even so it might be worth going to Citizens Advice since he was the one who didn't want to write up a contract.

At the moment any job is better than no job just to survive sort of thing, but like many have said here just get out there! Unfortunately from the sounds of the work you have been told to do there you won't have benefited much in terms of Portfolio work, however make some stuff up on your own; redesign some logos, make some adverts, just try and create a vast portfolio which essentially shows what you can do! That's what a Portfolio is after all isn't it?!

Anyway! I hope you find some proper work soon! You sound determined enough, it's just a shame you have been used in such a dodgy way! Not every where is like that!

For those who haven't read the rest of the thread - she posted a while ago to say she had been sacked. :icon_wink:

For those who haven't read the rest of the thread - she posted a while ago to say she had been sacked. :icon_wink:

I read all of the thread but I was wondering how she has gotten on since then; whether she found a job and what happened in terms of her old employer. :icon_wink:

Back