Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I got a puppy!

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by shaunalynn, Apr 7, 2013.

1. shaunalynn

shaunalynn Active Member

I've been looking at dogs on rescue sites for about 2 months now, and last week I finally put in an application with one of them. Within three days they called me and said they found a puppy that they wanted to match me with (there was actually a list of 8 but I had to narrow it down). We set up a meet and greet for yesterday at a Petsmart in the neighboring town. I met him, loved him, and adopted him. :)
    Meet Teddy.
    http://cl.ly/image/0O0u461f262a

togianeinny likes this.
  2. Tony Hardy

Tony Hardy Guest

That's awesome :) Handsome guy!

3. Jordan

Jordan Active Member

I rescued a puppy 8 years ago, one of best things I have ever done, saying that he kept me up most of the night being sick last night, they are like children!

4. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

Ahhh so cute :)
    dogs (and cats) are great but they're really expensive to look after these days, so as much as I'd love to have a dog (had three during my childhood) it's just an expense that I'm not sure I'd want to keep paying out for.
    In case anyone was interested - 2 german shepherds, one of which was TOO protective of me (only mum and dad could pick me up when I was little) and we ended up giving him to the police or a security dog firm where he could use his natural protectiveness. Then it was a pedigree poodle which we rescued from a poor home. 2 cats, one of which I remember being brought home in my dads coat pocket and over 300 'goldfish' in a pond, including some which were a good foot+ long.

5. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Nice looking fella that. :)
    We got a couple of dogs, one being a recue.
    This is Freck's an Boosh (Freck's left Boosh right)
    Freck's was a rescue and came to us in a bit of a state.
    Really underweight and quite depressed and vacant.
    Think she's been mistreated in the past.
    She's come on loads now and although there's nothing to her she's put on half her original bodyweight, has learned to play and now has a personality.
    Bosses Boosh about too.
    [​IMG]

6. my wife and I also adopted a couple of cats :) we are hoping to adopt a dog in the next year or so :)

7. shaunalynn

shaunalynn Active Member

I figured since I was now freelancing full time that it would be good to eventually get a dog and I knew I wanted to go through a rescue (breeder was a last resort in case I couldn't find one). I lucked out with this little guy. I wasn't planning to get a dog until later this year but my parents said "Nah, you're ready now, go put in some applications". Teddy is so good. He sleeps through the night and curls up into me. Doesn't force me out of bed (my mom's yorkie will stare you down until you get up) and he is potty trained, which I did not expect. He's currently curled up on the couch listening to CNN.
    I've got a vet appointment today because he has a weepy eye that he keeps shutting, so I want to get that checked out. He's also got flaky skin because he was covered in fleas and matted when he was rescued, so he's still healing from the bites. But personality is perfect and he's a little cuddle bug.

8. Soprano

Soprano Member

Let me introduce you to my 8 month old boy, I think you'll change your mind on that afterwards.. :lol:
    I would love a dog, but my place is far too small to keep one. Plus we're going to be moving down to Cornwall in 2014 for a year or so, so it wouldn't be fair to buy a dog and drag it around. Once we've settled though and the kids are a bit bigger, we'll look at getting one.
    Our first dog as a kid was a jack russell cross (not sure what it was mixed with) which we got from a rescue place. The only thing I really remember about it, was that it gave me rope burn around my ankles once and that REALLY hurt.
    I also lived with rottweiler's at various points as a child, fierce things they are (although not towards us, more if you went within a 3-foot radius of their bone/toys etc!)
    But then we got a labrador, my Grandma's husband used to breed them and she had got one of the pups from a litter, she was the most adorable thing I'd ever seen when she was a pup. My Grandma then decided she didn't want the dog in her house and we ended up taking her in. She was such a good dog, docile as hell but she made all the right noises when it came to keeping the house safe. :lol:
    When I'm ready to get a dog it'll probably be a labrador again. Very loyal dogs.

9. Janifar

Janifar Member

Its a great job dude, you did awesoem.

10. I love dogs, can't wait to get on of my own. I just need to get my head around clearing up an animals waste....
    I always had a dog, growing up. We've had Bouvier des Flandres, Golden Retriever and my mums current dog was rescued from an abusive family of drug addicts... She's a German Shepherd crossed with a Rottweiler, sounds scary right...? She's the most well-trained, intelligent and obedient dog I've ever met! I always have to end with this after someone asks what breed the dog is, because the media has demonised those breeds so much that people just end up looking a bit worried... it's quite sad really.
    I wonder if you have that problem in the US, where certain breeds are stereotyped into being nasty, overly aggressive and only serve one real purpose, which is to attack people. People just don't seem to understand it's about how dogs are raised...!

11. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Years back by sister adopted a Staffie, American Put-bull cross after her window cleaner "liberated" it from a guy trying to trying to train it up to fight.
    The dog had cigarette burns and a wound where he'd been stabbed in the side with a screwdriver as he's been attempting to make him mean.

She took him in and got him fixed up and even after all his experiences, he was the softest dog I've ever met and had a very happy and long life as a family dog.

When looking at RSPCA and animal recue sites a while back I was amazed to see that the vast majority of dogs were pit bull crosses.

BTW.

That guy that abused the Put-bull cross that my sister got.
    He was in plaster and eating through a straw for quite some time after.

Coincidence? I dunno.

Happy ending all round!

12. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

13. I've seen this before, not a clue where though. It's a really good watch :)

14. shaunalynn

shaunalynn Active Member

In the US, a lot of apartment complexes will not allow Pit mixes or pits of any kind. It's sad because the majority I've met are amazing and sweet. But there's a stigma.
    My little Lhasa Apso is settling in well. I've had him almost a month and the healthier his skin has become the happier and more puppy like he's become. Right now he's just resting on my bag. But he's the best little companion ever. He loves to play with my mom's yorkie, but the yorkie is kind of a brat to him. He doesn't care haha.

15. Glad it's going well! Perhaps we can see another picture of him with his healthy new skin? :)

16. shaunalynn

shaunalynn Active Member

Sure! Here's two, one with his happy face and one with his coat growing in nicely. :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. GibbonIt

GibbonIt Member

Naww;
    Here's my lil' boy :)
    (He looks very snobby in the picture, apoligies :) )

Attached Files:

18. Oh my god Shauna, that first picture!! That happy is face is awesome!
    Ben that is one posh pose you're dog is pulling off there, haha.

19. GibbonIt

GibbonIt Member

I know, haha :)
    I was above the camera, so he was looking up at me :)

20. Reminds me of some of those photos that you see of certain types of women on Facebook, haha. All your dog needs now is a low-cut top and you're all set!

GibbonIt likes this.