Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I finally got a kidney transplant!

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by cassiedesign, May 28, 2014.

1. cassiedesign

cassiedesign New Member

Little bit off-topic but for the past year I've been battling with kidney failure and I've been on dialysis. It's been pretty damn rubbish as I've felt like my whole life has been on hold and I wasn't able to work.

Even though being a freelance graphic designer is quite flexible in terms of having free reign over how you spend your time and hours you devote to your work. It was really tough going not earning much money. :icon_frown:

Well last Tuesday I got the call telling me to come into hospital as there was a kidney donor waiting for me.

I finally had a kidney transplant! :icon_biggrin:

I'm still in shock about the whole thing to be honest and I'm home already and doing pretty well. :)

Just thought I'd share for anyone who cares. I'm now planning my future and what I want to do. It's all rather exciting!

2. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

Congratulations, funnily enough I know someone who has been going through this and last week they also had a transplant, a kidney donated by her husband. She's really sore, on a ton of meds but on the mend. Amazing what can be done nowadays, she had the op and like you a few days later was at home.

Goodluck with it all and I hope you recover quickly :icon_smile:

3. @GCarlD

@GCarlD Well-Known Member

Fantastic news, congrats! All the best for the future.

4. hankscorpio

hankscorpio Moderator Staff Member

That's great news! I hope everything works out quite well for you!

5. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

Congratulations! I can't begin to imagine what you've been through or even how you're feeling now. I've often considered donating a kidney to someone, anyone, that needs one. The thought of being able to make such a massive difference to somebody's life (and the lives of their friends and family) is very appealing. I like the idea that no matter what I do and how my life turns out, I'll have done something selfless to help somebody else in need.

6. Corrosive

Corrosive Moderator Staff Member

Awesome news. Onwards and upwards now :thumb:

7. hankscorpio

Should have thought of this earlier...

"You kiddin me!"

Sorry for lame pun! But awesomeness outweighs this!

8. cassiedesign

cassiedesign New Member

9. andybdesign

andybdesign Active Member

That's brilliant. All the very very best.

10. hankscorpio

I am a registered organ donor, I don't know about giving up a kidney while I'm using it though...

I am also a blood donor - I donate about 3 times a year. I don't think it's safe to do it more than that, I can't remember.

11. cassiedesign

cassiedesign New Member

Hurrah for being a registered organ donor...

I got my kidney because a young man registered to be an organ donor... I am forever grateful and in debt to him and his family. It's given me another chance at life. :)

12. Katedesign

Katedesign Well-Known Member

What fantastic news! I do hope all goes well with you and the new kidney! Good luck!

I am also an organ donor and blood donor (up to nearly 75 units now - well I am old...) and since my husband now has terminal cancer and has had a couple of life-saving blood transfusions I am very grateful to all donors.

13. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

Sorry to hear that Kate :icon_hug:

14. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member

Happy for you, Cassie - hope it all works out from here.

I have an organ donor card but I haven't signed it as I'd like someone else to be able to use of it in the event of my death.*

(* That's Jack Dee, I think).

15. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

Jack Dee is the face I think of when I think of your nameā€¦

16. Yourdesignprinted

Yourdesignprinted New Member

Congratulations! All the best for the future!