i dont know what to do

I'm sorry for being a little honest here but a few weeks isn't going to help at all, you need an actual job... for years...

Imagine this... "Hey, I'm setting up my own airline but i can't really pilot anything at the moment, does anyone know where i can get a week or two of experience, you know, just watching people fly and stuff, to get the hang of it"

well thats your opinion, other have different ones. there are many people who freelance straight oiut of uni with no experience.

What ever happens im gonna try

sorry Romack, i have to disagree completely with that statement. I found work experience really useful because:

1. It gave me an idea of how a real studio runs and I could see live projects happening in front of me. I could decide if this was the type of career I wanted. It made me realise that unlike uni (where you get 8 weeks on 1 job) the real world was much faster paced with seriously strict and important deadlines.

2. It built up my confidence as I did real jobs and received praise from real clients so I began to believe I was good enough to compete in such a competitive environment.

3. I learnt new skills that we didnt cover in uni, like organising projects using job bags, job numbers and invoicing systems which I still use today.

4. I built up some new contacts in the design industry and made friends with people who I could ask for advice, ideas and bounce ideas off, even once my placement was over

5. I had real jobs to put in my portfolio rather than just uni projects or personal projects

6. My CV began to start looking interesting as it was evident to future employers that I hadnt just sat on my bum for the past 6 months looking through websites for jobs, id done something about it, id made an effort and used my initiative

7. In interviews after uni people said my work was good but i had no experience. 6 months later after a few placements I had enough experience for someone to give me a shot and I got my frist big break.

Our industry is so different to so many others it really cant be compared with the likes of airline pilots, or even office workers.
________
WEB SHOWS

Hello Dave,

Thanks for your reply.

I agree with most of your points. Here are examples;

1. It is important to see a real studio, imaginary ones can throw you completely off kilter.
2. Again real jobs and real clients are essential, although i once did an awesome logo for my imaginary friend, he really liked it and then gave me a referral.
3. You need to be organised, that is why at work i have a tray where i put all on my design briefs, if i need a bit of info, or brand guidelines, i know i can find it in that pile.
4. I like making friends too, maybe we could be friends. I'd be happy to give you advice on your ideas. Maybe you could give me advice too, i have an idea at the moment for a new design agency, where the clients just design what they want, and that's what we give them, maybe you could throw me a sketch or two over on what the logo should be?
5. A good portfolio is essential, i just had my imaginary friend's logo in mine for a while, but then i did another for his friend, the logos were similar but different, which is interesting.
6. It is true, you can't just sit for 6 months, the main reason being boredom and bathroom issues. Food wouldn't be a problem because we have a takeaway delivery service.
7. It sounds like in you interviews they didn't really like your work, if i don't like something i just say it's good so as not to hurt people's feelings. It's good that you got that experience or else you may never have got a real job, with real people, working for real clients, in a real studio. Well Done.

Also, you took me literally, i didn't say that work experience was a bad idea, ad i did not say being a designer is like being a pilot. Pilots are way cooler. I just said starting up your own design business with a limited amount of experience would be like a Lockerbie disaster.

P.S. please don't be upset at this response, i think you are good.

Thanks for the reply Romack, Im not quite sure how to take your responses to be honest.

I found from my own experience that the catch22 situation of needing experience, but not getting any because I wasnt given a chance because I didnt have experience was highly frustrating and the only way I broke that cycle was through doing work placements. I know you say "a few weeks isn't going to help at all, you need an actual job... for years..." but how are people meant to get that job in the first place if they arent given a chance due to lack of experience? I know what you are trying to say, theres no substitute for experience, but for new starters like Harlequin, how would you suggest he gets an actual job?

Id be interested to hear your serious opinion on the subject as its something I am very passionate about.
________
Vapolution

I'm sure this has been discussed in another thread, and there's no easy way to go about it. I can only speak from my experience and that is. Work for free, find small to medium sized companies as they tend to have a studio with 3 to 4 designers/web developers and helping hands are always needed. Phone them up and try to speak to a Creative Director rather than an account handler.

I worked for 6 months without a wage, i was lucky enough to get petrol money, and i worked weekends part time to pay for other things like drugs and printer ink. At the end i was offered a contract, low salary, but high opportunity.

This is one of the most competitive jobs in the world, and it's often not skill, but passion, drive, and willingness to learn that companies will recognise.

It's tough. If you can't get into an agency, i seriously wouldn't recommend starting your own agency, again, that's my experience.

hope this helps.

As the capitalist who squeezed the blood out of Romack...It looks as if as the person who has toiled and worked through the early years, he has words of wisdom there to take consideration of.. Take note.

Back