Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am drunk

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by br3n, Aug 16, 2009.

1. br3n

br3n Senior Member

Just letting you know...

Im at that stage where im drunk enough to think coherently and type at the same time! Bonus!

On a nooby bashing rampage at the moment..... :D

2. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

What you drinking br3n? lol

3. berry

berry Active Member

Everyone should be drunk sometimes - it brings out what should be brought out.

Lock and Load Brendan

4. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

Berry - I don't drink alcohol anymore, never really liked the taste of it except 'alcopops' which just are not right in a pub :)

Besides I don't need it, if it should be brought out I can do it without alcohol :)

5. berry

berry Active Member

Levi: if you can find that place without external stimulation then that is a great situation to be in ( and a lot cheaper!)
    I've always experimented with various stimulus to see what it achieved. I've always known that a 'free' mind is the most creative.{ I'll post an article I wrote on that subject in itself soon.}
    But sometimes you just need to scream.....

6. br3n

br3n Senior Member

Yeehaaa

7. Levi

I have drunk alcohol, I was introduced to wine with meals when I was quite young and had (suppose still have) a fairly good sense of a good wine, never really got into the lager/draught as I just didn't like the taste and apart from the orange/lemon based vodka drinks etc there isn't really anything I'm a big fan of these days. Plus I like to drive and I'm in the middle of nowhere so Taxi's soon rip you off.

I wouldn't necessarily say its cheaper though, a pint can be had for about a quid, a coke usually costs £1.20 out my way. I still manage to get through 20 quid plus just on cokes somehow ?

I suppose in some respects my dis-interest in "various stimulus" is to do with a part of me that likes to be in control of my 'self'. I think a lot of this comes down to the fact I'm dyslexic and as such I need to think about things in a certain way to get the best results. The main areas that my dyslexia affects are my grammar skills (my written english can be very bad at times) and it also has an effect on my emotions (basically extremes - screwed up hey :)) so over the years (I was diagnosed when I was about 4-5 years old) I've come to, in a sense, control everything which could be affected.
    Having said that I've never used dyslexia as an excuse, I've never taken any of the extra time in exams (while at school or uni) as quite simply put I'd never get these benefits in the real world, and I don't go on and on that I am dyslexic like some people I know have (this sort of person does my head in).

I will say there are some benefits to being dyslexic, especially in my field of 3D design, I've got a very analytical mind and I can visualise things in 3D (supposedly you can only do 2D normally), my perspective when 3D sketching is usually pretty good (without bragging) and this really helps when setting up scenes and the likes for my renderings :)

8. berry

berry Active Member

I think having a 'flaw' is good. I sometimes develop an exited 'stutter' when I present. As a Geordie, we talk fast, when I get passionate about stuff I talk triple fast - God knows what abetter Brummie client thinks! Having a 'hinderence' is a good flaw as it takes double creativity to overcome them.

I have a Creative Director who is dyslexic or a shit poor speller. But a better learner, you will never find. Chin like a rock. Makes him a progressor and survivor.

9. br3n

br3n Senior Member

Interesting to read levi, I would put money on me being dyslexic myself but damned if im ever going to cash in on it like some do. Like you, I find it very easy to visualise things in 3d and even pan them around like the lovechild of csi vs 3dsm. Never thought any more of it really. Maybe its a trend we can set :)

I really really really cant learn by being preached at, my attention span for that is next to nothing. We used to have 2 hour lectures on art history and I can bearly remember the title. its all lost. 10 monutes in the workshop with a new tool or technique and its locked in for good. Different people learn in different ways - school/college/uni favours only one.

10. berry

berry Active Member

Seriously - I'm sure I have the early signs of dementia, my memory span is shortening and I need to have a music stand with my own lyrics on at gigs as i can't remember my own words!

I have a zero attention span. I think we have too much information available for us to take in. It's like a brain stall. We just kinda shut down. Too much info and we can't digest and filter the good stuff.

11. br3n

br3n Senior Member

My attention span is -10 when looking at portfolios. I flick through like no bodies business and if I read any text at all its the sign of some truely spectacular work. I think its just visual overload, Seen so many that it really really needs to jump off the page and grab work for my attention. So rewarding when it happens though.

12. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Old fart...;) it's all catching up with yer laddie. Personally I blame the drugs.

13. berry

berry Active Member

I didn't take drugs....I was given gifts....Kilos of it!

14. Levi

Berry I don't see dyslexia as a flaw or a hindrance, its part of who I am (and I'm happy with who I am too), if you embrace the fact you are dyslexic then it becomes no worse than adjusting the position of your hand when you work with a fountain pen over a pencil :). I will agree about the learning thing, every time I use 3DS Max I normally pick up a new trick or I notice an area which could be done better and so is implemented the next time. I'm also kind of like you in some ways in regards to work, theres no point having a client beat around the bush so I actually say to mine that I would rather they say the work is not what they wanted than to um and argh about it all, if they don't like it even after you selling it to them, then theres no point taking it further as its not what they wanted :).

Brendan - I actually self taught my gcse maths in the end, the teacher was appalling as all he did was copy from a text book onto the screen, I can't work like that, plus the book was in front of me. So during class I'd usually complete two chapters by the time he'd finished writing one out on the screen and answering the questions from the class. I ended up getting an A too :)

My uni was very much a case of follow the lesson from paper (outside of the design side) which is fine as I could go at my pace. I was one of the faster ones to pick up my CAD skills while at uni, 3DS Max wasnt even on the curriculum as such but by the final year (due to myself and a few others) a remdering from it was basically expected by the tutors. Even out initial pitch changed from a simple sketch approach to full on CAD models by the middle of our second year :)

As to dyslexia, its possible, I'm not sure if you have to pay now but it might be worth being tested although now outside of school/uni its pretty pointless as you don't get any bonus points :)

edit - memory - well I can remember tonnes of rubbish stuff yet I struggle to remember my mobile phone number :)

15. berry

berry Active Member

Levi - didn't mean it as a personal 'flaw' more an established given natural society perception- I think? Don't know now, can't remember!

16. Levi

Relax, nothing was taken in a personal way. But yeah you are right. society can see people who have dyslexia as being dumb when often as not its just that they didn't have the right education (I was lucky to be picked up when I was as it was still seen as a 'new illness') or been allowed to grow in the areas where they are good, its very rare for a dyslexic to be poor in both english and maths for example.

17. blimey ... this is the strangest thing to read first thing in the morning :lol:

18. berry

berry Active Member

you obviously went to bed too early!!!

19. well I was looking after my other half all night.. she's not feeling very well :(

20. Levi

it was one of those you have to be up at the time threads :)