Html/xhtml/css

Just a couple of quick questions

1. Whats the difference between HTML and XHTML, are they different.

2, How many tpyes of CSS are there CCS CCS2 and CSS3, If I am just learning CSS should I start with CSS1 or should I jump to CSS3.

XHTML combines the flexibility of HTML with the extensibility of XML. But what does this mean?

With the CSS question, i would just learn the basics of CSS in gerneral first. You can always lookup others and progress to others from there. And when you do, here is a CSS3 website and blog. http://www.css3.com/ (Tutorials).

Thanks

Maybe getting more confused now with HTML / XHTML / XML

Are CSS CSS2 and CSS3 different or are they basically the same just beefed up.
like Abode CS CS2 CS3 and CS4

No problem Digital Naga, happy to help.
Anymore questions the forums are always here ;)

xhtml is an evolved html it's tidier standards compliant code, uses all lower case for html tags, all html tags must be closed etc W3 schools is a good place to learn html (xhtml) and css.

CSS 2.1 is supported across browsers CSS3 works on recent versions of firefox/safari/opera (you'll need some browser specific CSS for now but also include the actual CSS3 methods for future compatability).

CSS3 builds upon CSS 2.1 so basically somethings just won't work in older browsers - it's things like text-shadow / box-shadow / border-radius and also includes things like multiple background images / transforms and gradients. The best thing to do is make your site work with CSS 2.1 then add in some CSS 3 for browsers that support it, basically internet explorer will look less pretty but using CSS 3 saves a lot of hacks and time.

There's a couple of threads on here you will find useful for CSS 3 just give it a quick search. If/when you get stuck just shout (post).

a quick examples of CSS3 (rounded corners)...

.corners {-webkit-border-radius:10px; /* for safari */ -khtml-border-radius:10px; /* older versions of safari */ -moz-border-radius:10px; /* for firefox */ border-radius:10px; /* css3 */}

The main difference between the two markup languages is that HTML was an application of Standard Generalized Markup Language and allows an author to omit certain tags and use attribute minimization. Extensible HTML or XHTML is an application of Extensible Markup Language. It does not allow the exclusion of all beacons or use of the attribute minimization.

[FONT=&quot]CSS has various levels and profiles. Each level is CSS based on the past, new features and are generally referred to as CSS1, CSS2 and CSS 3. Profiles are usually a subset of one or more levels of CSS built in a particular device or interface. This new module for CSS3 proposes new selectors and includes and extends the selectors of CSS1 and CSS2.[/FONT]

Back