HTML emails

character1

Hi All,

In an attempt to drum up some new business we got around 300 hundred mail shots out last week and I want to follow up with a swanky HTML email - only problem is I'm not exactly a natural when it comes to web coding/development etc.

Anyone got any useful tips on where to start? Perhaps a decent adaptable template site or something (not mailchimp though).

Thanks all.

might also be worth checking out feedblitz, it's used for emailing RSS on blogs but you can also make newsletters on it

HTML mails should be coded in tables... otherwise it doesn't work in Outlook
Make sure you include a PDF version of your e-mail so people can still view it if they have problems with the normal mail

Onartis said:
Make sure you include a PDF version of your e-mail so people can still view it if they have problems with the normal mail

I thought you was supposed to include a link to the HTML e-mail on the web somewhere rather than sending attachments on the e-mail which may well be blocked?

Greg said:
I thought you was supposed to include a link to the HTML e-mail on the web somewhere rather than sending attachments on the e-mail which may well be blocked?
That might even be a better alternative :)

Whats wrong with mailchimp? totally awesome templates provided as stock, which the additional features of adding your own and or customising the default stock ones.

Also with mail-chimp (on commission) you can track the results of your mail campaign, have confidence that the majority of end users will see the design (if stock) in their email client. and its very cheap too!

Have used mail-chimp for many a email campaign and very impressed, if you want an alternative i hear 100% Rebrandable email marketing software just for designers - Campaign Monitor is very good also.

PS. Greg your right, if you are going to be delivering custom html email you should always offer the end user the -LIVE- on site version.

Any attachments are likely to be scrubbed by mail cleaning software and or its likely to make the end user suspicious of the sender if they are receiving unknown attachments in the email newsletter / blah

Useful info Geoff, and yes I've only ever heard positive reviews and feedback on both Mail Chimp and Campaign Monitor...

Also remember you legally must include an unsubscribe. Mail chimp etc can handle this properly but if your sending it yourself you could use a email link with the subject as unsubscribe (then make sure you remove them manually your end)

Was having an issue logging into mailchimp (waiting a couple of days before the registration email came through) - but I'm on now and making progress.

Fingers crossed I'll have something half decent sorted within the hour.

Thanks for all your help and advice though - much appreciated.

Good to hear Darren, let us know how you get on with MailChimp and how the e-mail goes down, would be interested to know for future reference if MailChimp is the way to go...

Thanks,
Greg

Gavinb said:
Having used Campaign Monitor for a few years now I can vouch for them. Their Tips, Resources and Blog all offer some great advice whether or not you use them for your campaigns. Also worth checking out is there Guide to CSS support in email clients

I'll second that, although Mailchimp are good too. If you're looking to send a campaign, they're neck and neck in my opinion. If you're looking to re-brand the system and offer it to your clients, however, Campaign Monitor steams ahead.

Back