HTML desperate help needed

lou

Hello! Im new to the html and css world and am having some probs with my bigcartel ecommerce site. When customers view my products the images are out of line...if anyone can see my error here i would be very grateful :)
many thanks!
Louisa

Hi, the code looks to be all over the place from first glance, in your product div (the containing one) you should really list each product using an unordered list rather than a div, it'll make it so much easier, theres other stuff like random closing tags such as </align:left>

Sorry if thats not much help

Thanks. Bigcartel is an ecommerce site which allows you to list items easily so i havent actually written that html but somewhere along the lines when i have gone into the html background i have moved/deleted something to cause the images to load like this?....its just i dont know where the prob is!? Thanks

I think it’s something to do with the div (main), perhaps it’s not enclosed properly in the wrapper?

Sorry, not got enough time to have more of a look at it.

Thank you. Had a go at the html checker and it didnt reveal the problem in question (i dont think). If anyone knows someone i can pay to have a look at it that would be great,

many thanks!
Louisa

Thank you. Had a go at the html checker and it didnt reveal the problem in question (i dont think). If anyone knows someone i can pay to have a look at it that would be great,

many thanks!
Louisa

Are you absolutely sure the answer isn't there? W3 is the best tool for debug in my opinion. For example;

Line 444, Column 8: end tag for element "div" which is not open
</div>

The Validator found an end tag for the above element, but that element is not currently open. This is often caused by a leftover end tag from an element that was removed during editing, or by an implicitly closed element (if you have an error related to an element being used where it is not allowed, this is almost certainly the case). In the latter case this error will disappear as soon as you fix the original problem.

If this error occurred in a script section of your document, you should probably read this FAQ entry.

Stray opening and closing divs aren't a good start for a stable layout. Have you actually been through it and fixed until it validates or did it scare you off a bit?

I went through what i could but finding it hard to locate the div in question there as im not sure how to find the row numbers....i havent made the script myself so havent got it externally if that what its referring to? thank you!

I went through what i could but finding it hard to locate the div in question there as im not sure how to find the row numbers....i havent made the script myself so havent got it externally if that what its referring to? thank you!

What platform is your e-comm Lou? I might be able to help you out if it is one I know.

Oh I see. So that is a hosted solution you are using. Is that correct or are you using the API and your own layout?

Well, its a template but ive been going in the background to edit the html and css slightly. It has a 'basics' page with all the CSS, a 'layout ' and a 'products' page etc where i have been editing the html...? Thanks

Have had a quick scan and I think there may be an extra closing div in there. The 'products' section is outside the div called #main-content. Is that correct or were you expecting it all to be wrapped in that div?

I think the easiest thing for Lou is to give someone access and just pay them to fix this issue. If you don't know what you are doing and messing around with back end code you may really mess things up.

Just a thought.

I think the easiest thing for Lou is to give someone access and just pay them to fix this issue. If you don't know what you are doing and messing around with back end code you may really mess things up.

Just a thought.

Yeah, that might actually be a good idea.

As a bit of advice, and for anyone else thinking about learning coding, try to be disciplined and comment absolutely everything to avoid hunting for that proverbial needle in the haystack.

For example, when you code your wrapper div (for centring content) don't just code;

Code:
<div id="wrapper"></div>

because that closing tag will end up at the other end of your page.

If you comment correctly you should have;

Code:
<div id="wrapper"></div><!-- /wrapper -->

That way, when it is at the end of your page you still know that </div> is closing your wrapper.

These don't display in the browser but can be a lifesaver when your page layout gets complicated and you wonder which offending div is not being closed.

Same goes for PHP and CSS.

I know this 'after the horse has bolted' but just thought I'd flag who this can help and, trust me, I learnt this the hard way as well!

Thanks so much for all your help...the guy who usually helps me has finally answered my email so i'll be getting him to have a look :) thank again!
Louisa

Back