Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How would you do it?

Discussion in 'Logo Design & Brand Identity Forum:' started by wac, Nov 21, 2011.

1. wac

wac Senior Member

I'm starting work for a new client tomorrow. They want a better version of this logo:

[​IMG]

And they're quite keen on keeping the frayed/jagged edges style. So has anyone got any 'quick' methods for producing a similar effect in Illustrator or Photoshop?

2. JamesBrentwood

JamesBrentwood Senior Member

You could either make or find a brush for illustrator.
    You could then simply draw one line and use a crazy brush, instead of drawing a ton of lines by hand.

3. WEBIAN

WEBIAN Senior Member

Watch the kerning. IE there's a big hole between 'c' and 'e' in 'services'.

4. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

I'd say something similar, print this one out, and get the pens/pencils out.

5. Squiddy

Squiddy Guest

Is it just me that thinks this logo would look a lot better without the rough edges?

6. wac

wac Senior Member

I think the logo would be better if the edges weren't so ragged but the client has assigned a meaning to them.

[​IMG]

I presented them with some concepts but they want something in-between b/c, I'll have another crack tomorrow.

7. JamesBrentwood

Looking good, I think I like the wider top row, I'm not sure how I feel about the sketchiness, part of me likes it, the other doesn't. Without it, it might be too bland, I'm thinking.

8. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

Have you tried adding some texture to it by using dashed/dotted lines rather than the sketch effects?

Or maybe using multiple shapes offset slightly?

9. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

1(in general) looks less phallic...

I would present all 3 to the client and let them make up their mind. You can guarantee they will chose the one you like the least, but at least you tried!

10. JamesBrentwood

Yeah I've read somewhere, the less choice you give a client the better, unless you yourself are really torn between two things you feel are just as strong.

11. Wardy

Wardy Active Member

I prefer 2c, but with less scribbly lines. They need to be longer, more continuous strokes, to be like the original visual.

I would do it by hand or in Photoshop as long as you have a tablet.

12. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

When you have sketchy details, I am all for sending 3 versions, clean, messy, complete mess as it shows them where it can go.

Plus it saves the "I like it, but..."

13. wac

wac Senior Member

Does anyone know of a good handwritten style type to replace the one the strap-line, which I believe is Bradley Hand?

14. JamesBrentwood

Nothing specific for you, but I've found a few great hand written (and free) on this site: MyFonts: Webfonts & Desktop Fonts Most of what MyFonts has is quality, no need to sift through tons of terrible fonts.

15. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

AKA Dora is alright, bit rough around the edges.

Freehand 575 also good.

Hand of Sean, also good, but done the rounds a fair bit.

Honey Script, see above.

Koala, not free, but good.

Prelude FLF, a lot of character.