How to write an overdue payment email

Nicola

Hi There,
I need some help wording an email to a client who hasn't paid me on time. I only have his email address and I need to write something that doesn't come across as annoyed or pissed off (but I am really), but professional and calm. Any suggestions?

I just tend to put something like:

"Hey. How's it going?
Just giving you the heads up that my invoice is now due".

That's how I tend to remind the clients I've worked with before but for one's that are new I ask for 50% up front and the balance on handing over the files.

Alternatively:

I just tend to put something like:

"Hey. How's it going?
Just giving you the heads up that my invoice is now due".

That's how I tend to remind the clients I've worked with before but for one's that are new I ask for 50% up front and the balance on handing over the files.

Alternatively:

haha! okay thanks.

First mistake... not getting their address, which is actually breaking the law from what I can see...

As to how to deal with it... I'd just give them a nudge like Scotty first, then see how it goes from there.

First mistake... not getting their address, which is actually breaking the law from what I can see...

As to how to deal with it... I'd just give them a nudge like Scotty first, then see how it goes from there.
I have his address, address, it's the local council. But I don't have anything but an email address for the guy as the project was through the council's communications dept. Technically this would be his second reminder as communications dept. has given him one also.

I have his address, address, it's the local council. But I don't have anything but an email address for the guy as the project was through the council's communications dept. Technically this would be his second reminder as communications dept. has given him one also.
I haven't dealt with councils personally but I know a few on here have. I wouldn't be surprised if the person you dealt with doesn't have the authority to 'pay you' and has had to pass it down to another department who then needs to go through their process or even only pays at 'certain times' of the year so you may be waiting for their 'payment window'.

I'm sure some of the others who have dealt with councils will have a better idea of the situation but I'd maybe go back to the department he works for and ask to talk to him or his supervisor etc.

I haven't dealt with councils personally but I know a few on here have. I wouldn't be surprised if the person you dealt with doesn't have the authority to 'pay you' and has had to pass it down to another department who then needs to go through their process or even only pays at 'certain times' of the year so you may be waiting for their 'payment window'.

I'm sure some of the others who have dealt with councils will have a better idea of the situation but I'd maybe go back to the department he works for and ask to talk to him or his supervisor etc.

I have and it can be a bit of a nightmare when you don't know what to expect.
I even knew my contact personally but it had to be pushed around various departments to be rubber stamped.

Got paid eventually.

I wouldn't be surprised if the person you dealt with doesn't have the authority to 'pay you' and has had to pass it down to another department who then needs to go through their process or even only pays at 'certain times' of the year so you may be waiting for their 'payment window'.

In the past I've had to wait upto 3 months for payment for these exact reasons. Councils, large agencies, etc, will have a finance department that deals with this stuff. Chances are you need to speak to them. You may need to get a PO (purchase order) number assigned to your invoice before they will pay you. This is a legally binding guarantee that the company has allocated funds and agreed to pay for the work.

In future, get a PO number (if the company requires it) before you start the job and include it on the invoice. Many companies will not pay out for work that doens't have a PO assigned.

Hi and thanks, I have a PO number, it was on the invoice. So I'm now hassling the accounts payable dept. The horror of chasing late payments.:eek:

Ah, you're likely just waiting on a payment run then. It's annoying having to hand work over and get paid eventually down the line. It's one of the reasons I generally dislike working with larger companies.

Back