How to work out correct curvature

@GCarlD

Union-Jack-License-Plate.jpg

Hi guys,

I am creating a design for the back of a mini, in the section where the union jack is behind the number plate in the photo above.

I have the dimensions; top width, bottom width and height of the section but I am wondering how to accurately create the correct curvature of the corners?

Same for the actual number plate, I can get the dimensions but how do I accurately create the correct curvature of the corners?

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Ok so take the number plate for example, let's say it is 524mm x 112mm, the corners are not at 90 degree angles, they are curved. How can 'work out' or know how much to curve these corners by in order to accurately create the exact same shape?

It needs to be printed you see and fit in the section flush...

does the mini not have a 'domed' numberplate recess...

Realistically you're going to need to work on an oversized flat vinyl wrap then 'shrink' it to the curvature using heat and then trim the excess off to fit the shape.

The number plate should be quite easy... just go measure the radius of a car's numberplate with a ruler.
The union jack may be more fiddly. Get in touch with a vehicle sign writer and ask if they can give you the dimensions.

The number plate should be quite easy... just go measure the radius of a car's numberplate with a ruler.
The union jack may be more fiddly. Get in touch with a vehicle sign writer and ask if they can give you the dimensions.

Yeah the number plate isn't too big of a deal, it's the union jack section that's the problem. I actually spoke to Mini Cooper, but they didn't have a clue, couldn't even give me the dimensions of that section!

I'll give a vehicle sign writer a go and see if I have any better luck. Any recommendations? lol

Thanks!

does the mini not have a 'domed' numberplate recess...

Realistically you're going to need to work on an oversized flat vinyl wrap then 'shrink' it to the curvature using heat and then trim the excess off to fit the shape.

Thanks for that, I didn't even consider any potential 'domedness', I'll try and bare that in mind.

Oh jeez excuse my ignorance

With the Union Jack the bleed is consistent. So it's cut when fitted, or while fitting - I imagine.

You'd need an image that bleeds consistently on all edges.

Although that doesn't make sense and it would be a rough cut... damn my brain.

What's the actual model of the car maybe there's some specs online?

What I'd do here is put a sheet up on the panel and mark it out. And digitise it.

When I've done vehicle graphics in the past I give the printer all the artwork elements and a visual of how it should look & they just sort it. I'd just be giving them the image you want with a fair amount of bleed and a visual of how you want it to look & they'll do the rest.

Although that doesn't make sense and it would be a rough cut... damn my brain.

What's the actual model of the car maybe there's some specs online?

What I'd do here is put a sheet up on the panel and mark it out. And digitise it.

Mini Cooper One, I have found specs online for practically every part of the car, except that specific section.

I don't have access to the car, so I can't mark anything out myself. I made a post in the 'What does everyone drive' thread, by the off chance that someone may have a Mini Cooper One and could help me out.

When I've done vehicle graphics in the past I give the printer all the artwork elements and a visual of how it should look & they just sort it. I'd just be giving them the image you want with a fair amount of bleed and a visual of how you want it to look & they'll do the rest.

Yes, I was going to provide ample bleed, but then I thought my client is going to want to simply stick it in place, not have to cut it out herself with a scalpel (if she has one) and potentially scratch her car in the process.

ahhh…they're doing it themselves??!! Recipe for disaster surely :) I don't think it's that expensive to get it done properly…will look right and no stress!!

You are unbelievable Hank, thank you so much.

Client sent me these dimensions for the union jack section:

Top width: 28 inches
Bottom width: 23.5 inches
Height: 8 inches

How accurate do you think the curvature (starting to hate that word lol) is in your mock up?

Would it be a case of now simply resizing to the above dimensions while keeping your curves consistent?

As a matter of fact, on a closer inspection, your template isn't far off the dimensions I was given! Incredible.

Just a bit worried about the accuracy of the corners...

It's the actual spec of the Mini - I'd say it's accurate.

Unless you can get out there and measure it yourself, you need to say it in the email that it's best guesstimate.

Thanks a million Hank! Hitting that like button is not enough. I'll remember you if I become a millionaire (y)

Back