How to strip and edit print ready PDF

kitcorsa

Hi i was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction....

... I have a poster from a christmas fayer (on pdf at 300dpi all options available ie not password protected and copy available) which consists of 3 background images, event logo, logos of sponsors and text over layered over the top. was originally designed in indesign CS3 according to info on the metadata.

What i'm wanting to do is strip out the back ground images to reuse and remove the sponsors (as new this year) to make new poster for this years event, looks basically the same just new info and sponsors etc over the top.

How can i do this.

Can't bring into photoshop and rub out the text as background to complex, can right click and save background image on pdf due to the effects used etc (just get small section of the background) etc.

wonder if someone could help me out and point me in the right direction. I have CS4 indesign and photoshop and illustrator and Acrobat 8 professional

thanks in advance

As above, as long as the PDF hasn't some how been flattened and so on, opening it in Illustrator should still see all of the objects and layers etc editable.

And make sure all objects/images/text, once opened in Illustrator, are at the same place as in original file. Sometimes Illustrator cannot handle PDF files properly and moves everything around :)

And make sure all objects/images/text, once opened in Illustrator, are at the same place as in original file. Sometimes Illustrator cannot handle PDF files properly and moves everything around :)

Just to add further to this, also make sure you have the fonts etc or else they could also change to Myriad or something.

Thanks

does text always come in as vector outlines text instead of in text boxes and editable as normal text??

Thanks

does text always come in as vector outlines text instead of in text boxes and editable as normal text??

It depends if the designer has chosen to outline text or not. Some printers request that you do, some are happy for the fonts to be embedded within the PDF. Some fonts will always need outlining (I'd say fragmented fonts, such as grunge-style ones) and some fonts don't seem to look as correct once outlined.

how about if i had a pdf that i just needed to change the date on?? ie a text in a box?

Open the PDF in Illustrator and try to edit the text - if you can then just change it and, if it won't select, it's been outlined. In that instance, you'd have to delete the object and create a new text box yourself using the same font.

If the text isn't outlined and fonts aren't embedded - ie. it looks great in Acrobat, but you can't open it in Illustrator without the fonts changing - you can just outline the fonts within Acrobat before opening the file in illustrator. Sure you can't then edit the text, but at least you can keep it looking right whilst you change anything else!

Back