how to resize an Icon in photoshop without losing quality

letty

Hi everyone,

I have this problem on the Logo Icon. The source files that I have was sketch and I don't have that software so I convert the files into layered Psd. When I try to resize the icons into specific sizes, the icon loosed its sharpness /quality. I try other solution which is I convert the source file again to Ai files (SVG/TIF) however, the result was not layered AI files. I cannot edit the logo icon. How can I solve this problem. The goal is the icon should be sharpen when put on a mobile screen for user testing and needs to have specific sizes for a mobile app design. Source file size 1024x1024 and need to resize 20x20, 40x40, 60x60, 80x80 px

Ideally you'd do this in Sketch since it's vector software intended for working with interfaces and icons. Photoshop is completely the wrong tool for any design. You can load vectors into Photoshop as Smart Objects, but Photoshop is not vector software, so it's always going to want to convert the objects to pixels, hence the loss of quality. It could also be a case of the icon itself not being created to a correct pixel grid, meaning extra loss of quality at small scales.

Send me a message and I'll give you my email address. You can email me the Sketch file and I'll convert it to a PSD for you.

Thanks. Actually I don't use photoshop when scaling, i will redo it on Ai. Basically, I just need to open the files into Sketch and then save it into ai, eps and svg files so that I can redo all the re scaling in Ai files. I bet Ai files will handle this issue if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried opening the Sketch file in AI? It's an open format, XD can open Sketch files so Illustrator might also be able to.

I already tried that but unfortunately, this will appear on the Ai when I open sketch files. Even When I try to convert the files into Ai, the result was not layered files in ai and I can't redo the logo if its lock.

Attachments

• blank.png
    blank.png
    122.2 KB · Views: 6
You need to ensure the icon aligns to a pixel grid. I'm working on tidying up some icons at the moment. You can see here the effect of not using a pixel grid, everything blurs because the lines are placed on sub pixels.

Back