How to remove recent posts section from Wordpress theme/blog?

bamme

Hello.

I am using this theme (Notepad Chaos) on my blog www.ameliealden.com

I want to remove the recent posts section. I can redesign the area where the recent posts bit appears by myself, but i do not know how to get wordpress to stop listing recent posts. I do not have recent posts in my sidebar.. havent done this before.. :S Can anyone give me a hint??

Ive looked in the theme's sidebar.php file and all it says is:

<?php /* Widgetized sidebar, if you have the plugin installed. */
if ( !function_exists('dynamic_sidebar') || !dynamic_sidebar() ) : ?>
<?php endif; ?>

the theme files are available for download on the link to it above. any help much appreciated! :/

My guess is that the code enables the widget sidebar. So if you go into your admin area, scroll to the appearance section on the sidebar and then click on widgets you should be able to control it from there.

Just a guess mind.

:)

Ahh i did have a look at the sidebar.. theres nothing in it at all now :/ is there a way to disable the widget sidebar/would this work? im sure theres something in theme files buti cant really see anything, im not too experienced with construction of wordpress themes

Have you got this sorted? if its widgetized you might not have to go into the code in the admin area there is a 'widget' tab under 'appearance' you may be able to alter there

well, ive tried both going into wordpress and clearing the sidebar in the widgets tab, and also clearing the sidebar.php file itself and reuploading it.. doesnt seem to have had an effect :/

HI Emma,

I have just looked at the site and it seems a stylehseet it missing so I canot really do anything until thats back again. I imagine the recent posts uses a style somewhere can this not just be set as

#widgetarea {
display:none;
}

Do you know what I mean by that?

Hi Glen, literally just managed to remove it - it was in a file called columns.php the finished result is here: Ziggiville :)

there are still a few bits and bobs with it though that are more general tweaks i suppose - does anyone know is it possible to remove the "posted under" bit beneath each page?

And also how to change page urls/permalinks of pages from the ugly http://site.com/?page_id=1 to something like http://site.com/about.html .. . i think it might be something to do with htaccess - i dont have a htaccess file, nor much knowledge about that sort of thing :S

on a diff wp blog i use, which uses version 2.9.1 - i can literally just change the permalink by clicking Edit right under the page title, but with this blog using 2.9.2 i cant.. again i think it may be to do with file permissions, but not sure! any ideas?

All these can be done using the display:none; css setting. You have a class in there called "meta" just set it to display:none; you shouldnt need to remove or play with php

I dont understand what you mean by the permalinks question. Do you want to change what they look liek is that what you mean ?

emmaburge said:
on a diff wp blog i use, which uses version 2.9.1 - i can literally just change the permalink by clicking Edit right under the page title, but with this blog using 2.9.2 i cant.. again i think it may be to do with file permissions, but not sure! any ideas?

Check the write permissions for the .htaccess file in the root directory using your FTP client, should be write enabled to allow WP to modify the permalinks either through the main permalinks settings, or through the options under the post titles like you mentioned.

Ahh i thought that might be it thankyou Greg, i didnt do this install (do you remember when you helped me with the last one? that same setup..) the server people did it, and there seems to be no htaccess file, so i am going to download a fresh version of WP 2.9.2, upload the htaccess file.. and see what happens. is the permission 755?

All these can be done using the display:none; css setting. You have a class in there called "meta" just set it to display:none; you shouldnt need to remove or play with php

I dont understand what you mean by the permalinks question. Do you want to change what they look liek is that what you mean ?

Managed to sort the sidebar, was all in a file called columns.php - im okay with playing with php once i find the right bit hah managed to get it in the end, thankyou though, on looking back that woulda been a much quicker way to do it :D

I think Greg hit it on the head with the file permissions solution when it comes to changing permalinks - im going to give it a go!

glenwheeler said:
HI Emma,

I have just looked at the site and it seems a stylehseet it missing so I canot really do anything until thats back again. I imagine the recent posts uses a style somewhere can this not just be set as

#widgetarea {
display:none;
}

Do you know what I mean by that?

Hey Glen, This is very nice so I am going to install because I liked the way you have done.

Yeah v easy and logical way of doing it isnt it! :) For me, i didnt have a "widgetarea" in my theme, So i would have instead targeted the <ul> that displayed the pages.

I tried a similar thing v recently inspired from this idea to remove single page links from the pages link list in the sidebar without going into php --

#content .pages ul li:nth-child(2){display:none;}

(removing the second <li> within the page links <ul> )

not sure if this would still apply with a widgetized sidebar (mine uses list_pages in the php) but it worked fine :) Good shout Glen thankyou for that as well!

Back