How to manually blur more layers at once in Photoshop

wentill

Hi, I am working on a map exported from GIS software. It is on a white background and has very sharp edges. When I try to automatically blur the edge it is not working well because it is curved a lot. I am doing it with 'refine edge' tool (there might be a better one?).

Best for me is to manually blur the edge on the whole image. It will take time but I am willing to do it. Problem is that I have more similar maps. All of them are the same spatially, just with different colors.

It will be great to be able to blur the edges on all of them together. Or maybe to make some kind of manually blurred mask which I would later apply on the other maps.

Is there such an option?
Thanks a lot.
group_bluring.jpg

Work on a copy of your file - as it can be a destructive method.

I'd isolate the white with the magic wand tool.
Invert the selection to pick the blue out.

Then use the Select>Transform Selection>Expand and expand it by 1 pixel or 10 pixels (whatever works)

Then use the Feather Selection from the same menu - you can then keep applying this feather

I don't normally need to worry over this due to the images I work with (I can just select a colour from a specific render pass etc) so I'm rusty but can't you add a feather onto the masking layer or something like it. Like I say I'm rusty but I'm sure there is something where you can reduce the jagged edges before you get to the 'cutting' stage.

Thank you both. Feather tool is an option I've been trying to work with. However it is somehow only blending the edge with the white background. It is more transparent but you can still see how jagged it is. It will probably work if I move the border further inside the image but I don't want to do that since it is still a map and I need it to be acurate. I need it to be only more blurry.

The feather also works bad in an area such as this. The island is only one pixel away. Manually I can work on that by changing the size of the Blur Tool. But if I work with expanding selection and feather then it completely skip this part of the image.
group_bluring_2.JPG

The feather also works bad in an area such as this. The island is only one pixel away. Manually I can work on that by changing the size of the Blur Tool. But if I work with expanding selection and feather then it completely skip this part of the image.
Quick and dirty solution.... could try upscaling and then downscaling a few times, playing around with the way the scaling is done (photoshop has a few settings for different types of media). Quick question, have you checked to see if the GIS software has transparent background and/or higher res options?

Also wondering if that AI tool I found could maybe work on this, not sure what the original image is....
Might be worth giving the tool in http://www.graphicdesignforums.co.uk/threads/online-background-removal-tool.25817/ a quick try

Quick and dirty solution.... could try upscaling and then downscaling a few times, playing around with the way the scaling is done (photoshop has a few settings for different types of media). Quick question, have you checked to see if the GIS software has transparent background and/or higher res options?

Also wondering if that AI tool I found could maybe work on this, not sure what the original image is....
Might be worth giving the tool in http://www.graphicdesignforums.co.uk/threads/online-background-removal-tool.25817/ a quick try
Up and downscaling would affect the whole image, not just the edges right? Sadly I don't have the higher resolution option. This is downloaded DEM raster.

Up and downscaling would affect the whole image, not just the edges right? Sadly I don't have the higher resolution option. This is downloaded DEM raster.
as I said quick and dirty, if you scale it you can always remove the inside afterwards and and use the old image. There are plenty of ways round the issues you're finding.

Back