How to extract lines from a map

Nstocks

I need a map to show a location of a building site, I've taken a screen shots from one of the internet ( ordnance map ) and I need to only show simple lines and outlines of buildings etc.

I've attached the map which I'm using and also a image of what I want to achieve. I'm really not sure how to do it, and it will take far too long to trace it in PS.

Thank You

Attachments

• photo-5.jpg
    photo-5.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 9
  • Screen shot 2010-01-07 at 19.49.24 2.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-01-07 at 19.49.24 2.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 9
I'd trace it in illustrator :/ That's what we do for building plans and the like in work, doesn't really take that long

Do I use the " line segment " tool ?, it always brings up a line option dialog which is weird:p I've never used Illustrator before...

Thank You !

Yup I'd just trace off the information you require in Illustrator or Freehand.
Or...hand draw the map details and colour up in Photoshop.

Do both...it's a map. Roads first.
Keep it simple and clean, don't over do the fiddly bits.

Keep away from fjords.

How do I edit the line once I've drawn it ?

There are a few parts that are messy and I wanted to clean them up.

Thank You

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-01-08 at 12.03.59.png
    Screen shot 2010-01-08 at 12.03.59.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 13
Ok, I'm not use to making maps; do I keep the large grid place over the map ? Would the map be fairly pointless without the grid as it's only a locations map ?

Thanks

Depends how accurate it needs to be.

If its purely location based then no.

If its some sort of military precision map where every mm counts then yes.

Ok, that will clean a few lines up!

I'm slowly getting there though... I'm trying to fill most of the white space, so then I will just mask ver the building in PS and clean all the background etc.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-01-08 at 21.50.14.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-01-08 at 21.50.14.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 7
There is quite a lot of green farm land on the map, do you just shows this all in one shade of green ?

thanks

Yes, The buildings and roads are black, streams blue and grassland green.

What is the best was to represent a railway line ?

thank you

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-01-10 at 11.31.34.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-01-10 at 11.31.34.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 4
Railway lines are usually a black line with multiple dashes.

Check the Ordnance Survey Map key section.

Did you never join the scouts?

Ok I will check that out... I will post the newer version in 20 mins or so, to see that everything is good.

Thank You !

Nope, never joint the scouts.

maybe use lighter shades of green otherwise it looks a bit too busy and it seems very small, maybe post a larger version.

As an example [Simple Map], it's a quickie job I did at work to show circulation area (plus you can see the train line)

Becky said:
maybe use lighter shades of green otherwise it looks a bit too busy and it seems very small, maybe post a larger version.

As an example [Simple Map], it's a quickie job I did at work to show circulation area (plus you can see the train line)

How did you get the lines so neat ? Mine don't look half as good as that... mind you it's my first time

Back