• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

How to extract lines from a map

Nstocks

I need a map to show a location of a building site, I've taken a screen shots from one of the internet ( ordnance map ) and I need to only show simple lines and outlines of buildings etc.

I've attached the map which I'm using and also a image of what I want to achieve. I'm really not sure how to do it, and it will take far too long to trace it in PS.

Thank You

Attachments

I'd trace it in illustrator :/ That's what we do for building plans and the like in work, doesn't really take that long

Nstocks

Do I use the " line segment " tool ?, it always brings up a line option dialog which is weird:p I've never used Illustrator before...

Thank You !

Yup I'd just trace off the information you require in Illustrator or Freehand.
Or...hand draw the map details and colour up in Photoshop.

Nstocks

Ok, I'm not use to making maps; do I keep the large grid place over the map ? Would the map be fairly pointless without the grid as it's only a locations map ?

Thanks

Nstocks

Ok I will check that out... I will post the newer version in 20 mins or so, to see that everything is good.

Thank You !

Nope, never joint the scouts.

maybe use lighter shades of green otherwise it looks a bit too busy and it seems very small, maybe post a larger version.

As an example [Simple Map], it's a quickie job I did at work to show circulation area (plus you can see the train line)

Nstocks

Becky said:
maybe use lighter shades of green otherwise it looks a bit too busy and it seems very small, maybe post a larger version.

As an example [Simple Map], it's a quickie job I did at work to show circulation area (plus you can see the train line)
How did you get the lines so neat ? Mine don't look half as good as that... mind you it's my first time