How to create watercolour effect?

Lin

Hi,
I've found this online and really like the look of it. What would be the best way to create this? I'm thinking creating the cup as a vector, then make it a compound paths and fill it with a watercolour texture image. Then rasterised the image, go into photoshop and use a filter effect to get the jagged edges. What do you think? Is there any other better way? Any input appreciated!
Cheers

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 20.51.19.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 20.51.19.png
    762.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 20.59.46.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 20.59.46.png
    766.6 KB · Views: 8
Lots of ways to achieve that look but watercolour isn't really the best to describe it.
Maybe distressed, vintage, retro, letterpress effect.

There are literally LOADS of tut's out there about how to do them as vectors or rasters but bets to start in Ai.
Probably best to find one that fits the result you're looking for.

Not got time to find many but check out the blog and tutorials here for a start.

You could always do it old-school and enlarge a small photocopy of the image, that's what they look like to me.

There is a photocopy filter in Ps but I'm not sure you would get such a subtle effect as that. Barring that, I would
play around with Levels and pastel eraser brushes etc and you would get something similar.

Thanks for your replies, and that link you gave me Scotty is awesome. Sometimes I think that the hardest part is just finding a name for the effect then it's easier to find tutorials... googling "letterpress effect" I can see this is what I really was after, not watercolour.

I managed to get a pretty close effect from using a black and white pic of a chilli then turning that into a layer mask with a distressed watercolour background I found online, then rasterising the image and giving it a subtle filter effect, can't remember which I used now, wasn't watercolour think it was sponge.

Anyway thanks again for your help

Glad you got sorted.

It does help to find the right term or description for what you're looking for and that can be quite difficult.

There's also a lot of tut's on Chris Spooner's blog

Back