Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to adhere model ' grass'

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Nstocks, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Nstocks

Nstocks Senior Member

Hello,

Firstly my apologies is I've posted in the wrong thread...

I have made a site model, which is covered in that green grass looking powder, used by model train hobbyists. The problem is that when I touch it, the little particles come off, even though it has been glued from underneath. What is the best spray to use to seal in the particles to stop them coming off ( someone suggested hair spray but apparently it doesn't work. )

Thank You

I've attached a picture of what it looks like ( Note: Not my Image. )

Attached Files:

2. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

Double-sided tape?
    Just stick it to your surface and then use a LOT of the powder and push it down on the tape. Then you can shake off all the loose particles and if necessary reuse them to cover some spots that you missed the first time.

Just a guess though...

3. Nstocks

Nstocks Senior Member

It's already stuck to the mesh ( paper mache ) with PVA. It;s just that if you touch it from above where there is no glue, the particles will come off as they don't all stick completely to the glue.

Attached is my work, as you can see the grass is stuck down, but only from underneath.

Attached Files:

4. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

get some spray sealant (basically its hairspray - like what you use with pastels), it will reduce the amount coming away, but that grass stuff is useless, it doesn't stay on anything

5. Nstocks

Nstocks Senior Member

Ah yes, I think Staples sell that too ! I was going to use watered down PVA in a spray bottle... would that work ?

Thank You

6. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

Doubt it will

7. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Double sided keeps my toupe on fine on a windy day.

Try spraymount or photofix.

8. berry

berry Active Member

mmm, years ago I did make some castles and terrain for my sons Warhammer phase. I used a base layer of upvc glue than layered the grass on, always shaking the thing upside down after a while to ensure what was stuck on stayed stuck on. Then I sprayed Display mount on top of that layer and added more grass, shaklng the excess off. I would finish with a final Display blast and last layer of grass. On some ocassions I would spray the final terrain with a light coat of Spray varnish. It may look like grass but it was more like rock!

One day I may tell you how to make dry stone walls out of sawdust and Weetabix! and Stagnant swamps out of foodbags and bath foam!

9. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

I used to use those net bags you get oranges in.
    Scrumple 'em up add lots of liquid glue then sprinkle moss/grass stuff on.
    Spray paint when dry.

Tamya tank models for me.
    Oh yes.

10. ahh the joys of Warhammer :D