How much would you charge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mohammad

I got a request from this guy asking me to design 50 T-Shirt designs, (1400x700), and how much would you charge? If you got that job?

Are you printing them?
Are you designing one design or 50?
Are the images copyright free?
Will you paying a licencing fee?
Is each design unique?
Is it front and back?
Are you supplying artwork?
What are you supplying?
Is he paying a deposit?
have you done a credit check?
How is he paying?
Will you get paid?
Do you know him?
How will you recieve your funds?
Will he need an invoice?
Is he VAT registered?

Before I would quote I would ask some questions......

Exactly what I was thinking, but after giving those questions I wouldnt have a clue on what costs to suggest with the answers :D

Nope im not printing them a man who he knows is gonna
Im designing 50
They are copyright free
Yes each design is unique
Its Front
Im making the designs from the words (50) he gives like "Every Soul Has To Taste Death" and I have to make it into design using photoshop
He hasn't paid a deposit yet.
No I havent
Hes paying me by cash
Hope I will
No I dont know him before
He talked to my dad via phone, and when i finish the designs he will come and pay and take the designs
I dont know
I dont know

Berry said:
Are you printing them?
Are you designing one design or 50?
Are the images copyright free?
Will you paying a licencing fee?
Is each design unique?
Is it front and back?
Are you supplying artwork?
What are you supplying?
Is he paying a deposit?
have you done a credit check?
How is he paying?
Will you get paid?
Do you know him?
How will you recieve your funds?
Will he need an invoice?
Is he VAT registered?

Before I would quote I would ask some questions......

you missed one - are you registered with the tax man etc so that you can actually take money as a business.

While that's true Levi, in this case the person is a Student and wouldn't need pay tax as his earning for the year would be well under the ammount needed to begin tax payments.
I'm not sure at that age whether he would need to pay NI either.
But registering would be worthwhile just incase

Depends whether you're going to do a few tutorials on print/T-shirt design and produce decent print quality designs or low res web 2.0 t-shirts...

Designing a range of 50 T-shirts is a tall order, will they be using every single design or choosing from a few to go to print?

Personally, being where you are at the moment I'd see what he offers to pay and you will either be pleasantly surprised or if it's too low negotiate; but I'd see it as a good portfolio builder.

oh and if they're paying cash...

WHAT?! I never knew you had to register for all this but plz tell me how much can I charge?

and what can they do if I dont register?

50 typographic designs for a person I don't know, from a lad who is 13, who may or may not be able to do artwork fit for print, for a guy who may or may not pay...................

If i was your age and experience I would charge him £995.
that's £20 a design, I hours work for a good designer to wizz thru it, 2 hours work for a descent designer, 4/5 hours for you. Works out that you'll be earning the same as McDonalds - £3.95 an hour.

Means to him he will be paying £35/38 a t-shirt. - Now ask yourself....will he pay that?

Better be a shit hot David Carson typo t-shirt otherwise I may as well buy a Paul Smith one?

Welcome to the first rule commerce - Pricing your product right, and making your business efforts viable.

Shall I tell How much hes gonna pay? He agreed at £150 which is a good price for me after me asking £200

What!! Berry! £995!

He's gonna sell the t-shirts for £10 each and money from it will be going to Interpal and Muslim Aid

The thing here is you missed out items like the fact you know how much the tshirts will sell for, you know how much you are thinking of getting, you know that its for charity.

These things change alot of things.

£3 a design is quite horrific. That wouldnt buy me dinner.

But then with all other factors, £150 for something charitable and I'm sure out of 50 designs you can find one that will be portfolio worthy :D

Without sounding patronizing,

I'd take any work that you can at this stage and treat payment as a bonus. if you don't get any or a fair payment then make it clear that the first instance of work was to 'prove' yourself as such.

Then if you get repeat work from the client,make sure that you charge them a realistic amount as you would have hopefully demonstrated a high standard of work.

Yh ofcourse and I sent him some of the designs and he really liked them and was very interested

Mohammad said:
What!! Berry! £995!

He's gonna sell the t-shirts for £10 each and money from it will be going to Interpal and Muslim Aid

OK let's do the maths.....

He can't sell the t-shirts for £10 each.

A basic t-shirt for print ( if it's digital laser print, which it will have to be if he's after 50 individual designs, These have to be non porous t-shirts to take the image transfer / Primark £1.50p each wont do ) A transfer absorbant T- shirt will cost him cost £5 trade minimum, £8 if he goes to a 'while - u- wait t-shirt laser printing outfit)

So if it's a non-profit concern he has £2-5 per T-shirt to pay for Design, Artwork, petrol to go to the shop, delivery, distrubution and his time and effort.

50 design at minimum £2 each is £100

That means if you spend even 2 hours on each one ( and you must be shit hot to do that) that is 100 hours, an average working week is 37.5 hours, therfore it will take you 3 working weeks to do all the design, which equates to @£33 per week at @£0.97p per hour.

I would get a paper round mate, better money!

Obviously not a conventional design transaction but with no deposit I would strongly avoid sending work before payment.

Especially at print stage.

Everything u Said is right... but im not gonna spend 2 hours on each one because it aint worth it about 30 minutes for each one and when I show him if he wants anything edited i will edit it

Berry, what if he's printing off more than one tshirt per design, where the costs of the tshirt is the only thing that doesnt get cheaper the more he does stuff.

Which increases the ammount he can pay for each design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back