How much to charge for a strapline?

johnnyfox

Hi everyone,

I was recently asked to produce a logo and online storefront branding for a client, however, he has since decided the he only wants to use the strapline I came up with, and have the option of taking the design later.

I'm fairly new to freelancing so have still not quite got the hang of pricing myself effectively. I was wondering if anyone here could advise on a reasonable amount to charge for use of a strapline. Also, If he decides he doesn't want to pay for it, can he get away with using it anyway?

All help appreciated and thanks in advance!

J

Hi everyone,

I was recently asked to produce a logo and online storefront branding for a client, however, he has since decided the he only wants to use the strapline I came up with, and have the option of taking the design later.

I'm fairly new to freelancing so have still not quite got the hang of pricing myself effectively. I was wondering if anyone here could advise on a reasonable amount to charge for use of a strapline. Also, If he decides he doesn't want to pay for it, can he get away with using it anyway?

All help appreciated and thanks in advance!

J

Charge for what you have produced.

He asked you for a logo and a strapline, so you have produced him a logo and a strapline. That he now wants to change his mind is tough, charge him for both, give him both and it is up to him to do with them as he wishes.

Hi Johnny

You have done what you were asked to do, so Id supply both logo & strapline on disk & expect payment for both based on an hourly rate.

Wayne
Inktelligence

Hi Jonny,

I completely agree with the two other posts, you put the time and effort in, it's not your fault they have changed their mind and you shouldn't lose out as a result.

You could try and keep the client happy and possibly getting your self some more business by telling them that you have completed to work requested so will have to charge the full amount for this, however if they would like to re-work the logo at a later date you would be willing to do this at a reduced rate as gesture of good will.

Hi Jonny,

I completely agree with the two other posts, you put the time and effort in, it's not your fault they have changed their mind and you shouldn't lose out as a result.

You could try and keep the client happy and possibly getting your self some more business by telling them that you have completed to work requested so will have to charge the full amount for this, however if they would like to re-work the logo at a later date you would be willing to do this at a reduced rate as gesture of good will.

Hmm I think it's a nice sentiment but I'm not sure I'd even go that far or consider it necessary.

The bloke hasn't said he doesn't like or want the logo from what I can gather, simply that he doesn't now want to use the logo part of it at this moment in time. If he does wish to though, it sounds as though he will simply use the part already designed.

To me it just sounds like a normal, completed job. Give him the strapline and logo both separately and together and let him do as he pleases, get paid as normal and move on to the next job. But I don't think I would offer him a special discount for the future as a sole result of him trying to be a bit awkward and fleece me for the moment?

If I were to offer a discount with the same principle, it would be because I have done something on the current project to inconvenience them. The OP has done nothing of the sort.

Hmm I think it's a nice sentiment but I'm not sure I'd even go that far or consider it necessary.

The bloke hasn't said he doesn't like or want the logo from what I can gather, simply that he doesn't now want to use the logo part of it at this moment in time. If he does wish to though, it sounds as though he will simply use the part already designed.

To me it just sounds like a normal, completed job. Give him the strapline and logo both separately and together and let him do as he pleases, get paid as normal and move on to the next job. But I don't think I would offer him a special discount for the future as a sole result of him trying to be a bit awkward and fleece me for the moment?

If I were to offer a discount with the same principle, it would be because I have done something on the current project to inconvenience them. The OP has done nothing of the sort.

You're right, it's not necessary, but by making this small offer you would probably get a better result than by playing hard ball and you are offering an incentive for them to use you again. I'm not saying bend over backwards for them, or to give a large discount. I just think this way you could benefit.

They may not be trying to pull a fast one. If they have never used a graphic designer before they might not think what they are asking for is out of order, just another client who doesn't appreciate the effort the goes into design work. If you educate them on the process involved that might help the situation.

However, if you think they are trying to take you for a ride or they are a client you would rather not work with again then obviously I wouldn't offer anything, just demand the full amount.

Hi everyone,

Thankyou very much for all the quick and helpful responses.

I get the feeling that my client hasn't used a graphic designer before and is likely unaware of the time and effort that goes into design work. However, as many of you have said, he has asked for the work and i've delivered it.

Bearing in mind he would expect to pay for any other service commissioned in this manner, the more I think about it the more i'm certain that charging him the full amount is the only way to do this properly. As Wayne from Inktelligence suggested, I will give him all the files on a disc and charge the hourly rate. It will then be up to him to decide how and when to use the various parts of the branding.

Thanks all for your contributions. It's very difficult at first to get sense of exactly what your work is worth and how to protect yourself in situations like this, but I think i'm getting a better idea now.

Cheers :icon_thumbup:

You're right, it's not necessary, but by making this small offer you would probably get a better result than by playing hard ball and you are offering an incentive for them to use you again. I'm not saying bend over backwards for them, or to give a large discount. I just think this way you could benefit.

They may not be trying to pull a fast one. If they have never used a graphic designer before they might not think what they are asking for is out of order, just another client who doesn't appreciate the effort the goes into design work. If you educate them on the process involved that might help the situation.

However, if you think they are trying to take you for a ride or they are a client you would rather not work with again then obviously I wouldn't offer anything, just demand the full amount.

I understand what you're saying and it's fair enough.

I just think that he has contracted the OP to do some work for a price, the OP has now done the work and so he should get the price. Anything else is a completely separate issue.

The idea of giving a future discount is one which could be used to try and secure future business for sure, but I don't think that it should be in any way linked to what has been outlined in this topic.

Out of interest.

If this guy turned around now and went 'well, I'm only paying you for the strapline'.
Where do you go/who do you turn to/what do you do?

Out of interest.

If this guy turned around now and went 'well, I'm only paying you for the strapline'.
Where do you go/who do you turn to/what do you do?

Assuming there has been an agreement in place for whole job in the first place, I'd stick to the agreement and request the full payment as agreed.

Collecting payment can be hard if the client is being stubborn but there's always small claims court if it comes to it and many will pay up once threatened with court action.

It is vital that work is agreed front end and a written quotation (physical, email etc) provided - which includes your terms and conditions - this is a key element of a contract.

I get the impression that this has not been done? You should absolutely charge the full agreed amount for work ordered and completed - unless you cannot show an adequate contract.

Back