How much is a logo worth?

clearly the people charging $60 for 1-2 hours of work don't live in the UK....

Levi said:
clearly the people charging $60 for 1-2 hours of work don't live in the UK....
I just saw a short video clip about people in Bangladesh who work in a t-shirt factory and manage to survive on $80 per month. I imagine that the rent there is extremely low and I know that food isn't really that costly either. So $60 per hour is definitely something that a person can survive on, but if you want to live like a king, then you may need more : )

By the way... what would you consider normal wages?

$80 US works out around £40-50 in the UK.... I'd guess most of us spend more than that on petrol in a month, hell the cost of internet is likely close to that for most of us...

Normal wages in the UK would be different to normal wages in say Bangladesh.

Levi said:
$80 US works out around £40-50 in the UK.... I'd guess most of us spend more than that on petrol in a month, hell the cost of internet is likely close to that for most of us...

Normal wages in the UK would be different to normal wages in say Bangladesh.
Sure, but that doesn't answer my question: how much different?
Or more specifically: what would you consider normal wages?

We don't answer how much we charge etc, I know I don't as it gives the competition insider knowledge :)

All we do is ballpark and that would be £20-50+ an hour

I agree to above comments that 15-30% is very low to earning a profit. Logo should be attractive though as its the display of your work.

I was having a debate with someone the other day regarding logo's. We were discussing the logo design process and that it's not just a "simple job". They argued (they're not a designer btw) that they have come up with logos in 10 minutes and had it all finished. I think this was a dig at my process. Another way of saying "see, it can be done in no time at all". I don't drag out the process, but I give it some thought at the very least. Every book I've read outlines the same and highlights the importance of designing a logo fit for purpose. Because of this, even though I feel a little sorry for the £40 logo designer, they do make a mockery of something, I believe can not be accomplished properly in such a short time, with no thought.

Going back though; what does everyone think about the logo design process? Has anyone ever knocked up a logo in a short space of time? I would be interested to hear :)

iDesign said:
Has anyone ever knocked up a logo in a short space of time?
The amount of time taken to develop an idea is different for everyone and the design field you're in.

We had arguments over this when I was at uni as a lot of us didn't do the 'development sketches' etc that the course required, a lot of us had idea A, idea B etc which eventually turned into idea Z after discussions but there was no physical sketches of how A/B turned into Z because the 'alterations' happened in our heads. We then had to waste time going back filling in sketches to show how the design progressed.

Perfect example from my own experience... group course discussion of a couple of designs, comments came up about designs and after my turn I'd come up with the 'final design' in sketch form.... no development drawings, just key points from the comments gave me the final design.

Funnily enough as with all the way through my education the course was changed the year after I finished to focus more on the idea than the way we got there :rolleyes:

I'm glad to hear about the sketching. I don't sketch nearly as much as I should. I do a fair bit of research and head straight to Illustrator.

What you said makes sense though. I guess it can differ :)

Thanks

If it's just a logo (£150 - £250) project then I don't submit any sketches to the client. I'll do some sketching for my own benefit but it won't be presented to the client, I'm not hugely effective with sketches either, although it's coming on.

If it's a branding project (£400 - £800) then I will spend time working on a sheet of logo concept sketches to show the client for discussion. Once we've picked a few I'll then move to Illustrator and create some more variations. Once the logo is complete and the brand style set, I'll move on to the stationery.

Pricing can be more, it depends on how big the company is, how many ideas they want to try, how elaborate the design work is etc. You can read more about my design process for branding projects here: http://www.designforums.co.uk/topic/10388-how-to-start-a-branding-project-brand-discovery/?view=findpost&p=104362

Doesn't have a referential table of some average price in your country? Here in Brazil we have an table with the average price of freelancers and agencies, this table is a reference for all country... Of course we can't follow those numbers correctly, but it gives us a margin... Is a open table to everyone gets access: www.adegraf.org.br/downloads/tabela_valores_2013_2015_web.pdf
ADEGRAF is a association of Graphic Designers from Brazil.

Levi said:
We then had to waste time going back filling in sketches to show how the design progressed.
lol, yes I remember I significant amount of reverse engineering to keep tutors happy. The amount of time we had to spend colouring in was ridiculous. If I’d freelanced at an agency and they asked me to come up with a logo concept and I came back a week later with my colouring book they would have given me the boot. Agencies tend to want things done quickly, like logos in a couple of hours, particularly from people they are paying at a freelancer rate. That’s why agencies can be bad news for branding, especially on a budget.

wac said:
lol, yes I remember I significant amount of reverse engineering to keep tutors happy. The amount of time we had to spend colouring in was ridiculous. If I’d freelanced at an agency and they asked me to come up with a logo concept and I came back a week later with my colouring book they would have given me the boot. Agencies tend to want things done quickly, like logos in a couple of hours, particularly from people they are paying at a freelancer rate. That’s why agencies can be bad news for branding, especially on a budget.
Ha ha, coming back a week later with a coloring book... I can imagine how well that would be received :)

Reactions: wac
Back