How Much For E-mail Sig's?????

scotty

Ultimate Member
Thought I'd ask this in the web design section as I generally lurk over in illustration so hello.
The company I'm working at at the mo' asked a web company to do them some e-mail sig's for a couple of the staff,
This was to amend an existing signature and drop in and animated gif (gif supplied).
I just saw the invoice and almost fell over.
The invoice just lists things like "dropping in giff, nudging text, e-mailing" and the like.
Excuse me for sounding naive but it this a big job?
I've seen basic web-sites designed for what they charged.

It really depends. From what I remember, each email signature has to be built slightly differently depending on which mail client both you and the recipient of the email use.

So, there probably is a hell of a lot to consider, especially if it wasn't just a plain text signature?

Hay Tony,
I'm sure there must be more than just typing in some text and placing an image but these (2 sig's) were just plain text, a logo and a small animated gif.
They didn't have to originate it either as it was just amending another one and adding a gif and nudging the copy over.

Hi Scotty,
Email signatures are a pretty menial task and you shouldn't be expecting to pay very much at all for them but be aware of high-end designers charging top whack for hourly services. Probably best posting this on a freelance job board or something as it is a small task that should be pretty straightforward indeed (I'd recommend freelanceswitch.com).
A quick not about the animated gif however, personally I would advise against using them in email footers. They're generally a fair bit bigger than a jpg etc. and you will almost certainly encounter compatibility issues with some mobile browsers and you will increase your 'spam score' by using them.
Worth checking out this http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/136338-embedded-gifs-in-email-signature-bad-idea
Good luck with getting it changed :)

giantsheepnet said:
Good luck with getting it changed :)
I think it's already been changed :) Think Scotty just seen the invoice for a company he worked for and nearly collapsed! Haha.

Yep, like Tony said,
it's for work that's been done and I'm trying to find out if someone's trying to pull a fast one.
Not a fan of animated gif's in email signatures but I do as I'm asked and made one which was quite a small file size and supplied
that to the web firm.
Just really asking if an email signature was a big job to do for two people and warrant a £650............... yes, £650 price tag :blink:

£650.. Hmm, yeah that's quite ridiculous really... I don't have much experience with that specific area but, well, you can get a pretty damn good website for that kind of money...!

That is a hell of a lot of money to be spending on an email signature. Did you query it with anyone?

I would get that checked out.. maybe it's the case that someone is doing someone favours or something... I'm not sure on the size of your company or anything, but either something odd is going on or someone up above is very, very careless...!

That is day light robbery.For that price there has to be more involved, are they planning on doing the rest of the companies sigs? Doing more web design? Turning lead into gold? Did the company you are working for get any other quotes? From a personal point of view I can't stand any kind of image in a signature. It should be simple text that is easy to copy and paste from.Anyway I'm off to go and start up a email signature company and charge £300 per signature.

One of the directors ran it past me today asking "Does this sound expensive"?
After I wiped my tea of his shirt I told him it might be a tad on the rich side so I thought I'd ask you web guys what you thought (appreciate your thoughts BTW).
Had to laugh at the invoice.
It read like this:
To move text over a bit.
Drop in a gif.
Nudge text back again.
Upload to server.
E-mail client.
Scratch arse.
Laugh to one's self.
Total: £650
BTW. Anyone know where the "illustration" section of the forum's gone?
I'm kinda out in the cold and I can't afford to hang with you web guys.
'Kin made o money. ;)

scotty said:
BTW. Anyone know where the "illustration" section of the forum's gone?
I'm kinda out in the cold and I can't afford to hang with you web guys.
'Kin made o money. ;)
We're having a bit of a reshuffle. It's all rolled into the Graphic Design forum for the moment :)

Not out of my pocket so I couldn't give a stuff really ^_^
Thanks Tony. Guess I'll just have to slum it in there for a while.
At least it's warm.

Back