How much do you charge?

Hey, I was just wondering what you guys charge. There seems to be such a board pricing range for Web design its unreal. Some people do awesome sites for £400, some people do terrible sites for £1000. Some people charge £10,000, some more.

I always look at sites that have cost thousands and think, I can do that quality of work. But I could never get the people who pay that money, or have the nuts to ask for that.

I / we never charge less than £500 for a fully designed and built site. We'd like to charge more, but sometimes our clients budgets just don't stretch that far so we often work something out, especially if they're sending more work our way.

Charge what you think you're worth, but you have to keep in mind what your clients are willing to pay. It's no good being a top notch designer, charging £1000 for a site, but only get enquiries from small local 1/2 man businesses.

If you want to charge what you think you're worth, you have to do the hard work and find the clients willing to pay it.

Some people are just happy charging a lower price to get the work in, some charge lower prices just because they enjoy what they do. There's a lot of things to consider really and unfortunately, there's no trick to doing it.

I've just taken on 2 websites. One I'm charging £200 (inc hosting and domain) for as its 2 pages based on a wordpress theme and I'm quite confident that I can churn it out in a day. The other is code only (design supplied) but is a bespoke site which needs to run on wordpress and is costing £450 (excluding domain and hosting). Both customers are aware that I charge an additional £25p/h for amendments and alterations once the site is live.

The other is code only (design supplied) but is a bespoke site which needs to run on wordpress and is costing £450 (excluding domain and hosting). Both customers are aware that I charge an additional £25p/h for amendments and alterations once the site is live.

Dave, that Wordpress site seems awfully cheap, how long do you envisage that taking to code?

I've just quoted out a few separate sites. Mainly everything we do at Canny Creative runs on Wordpress these days.

So, there's a basic brochure site with customer signup form. It's based on a really flexible Wordpress template that still requires a lot of design work, but that's coming in at around £550.

Then, we've got a more complicated site, designed and built from scratch, for an app company in London. We're designing a fairly complex backend system that later plugs into some e-commerce stuff, and that's rolling in at £2000+.

What you can charge is based on your experience, portfolio and ultimately, what you can do for your customer. They're going to be willing to spend £10k+ if you can guarantee their site is going to make them more than that. Return on investment, it's what people want to see.

It's a pretty simple site tbh. I cant see it taking more than 4-5 days to get the nuts and bolts of the site completed and it's more of a portfolio building exercise than a necessity to survive. I earn a reasonable wage from the 9-5 so anything extra is pocket money.

It's quite worrying that some people on this forum (and other sites) charge as little as £50 (& even less!) for a logo design. How do you compete with that? So your charges should not only depend on your work, experience, portfolio etc it also depends on your clients willingness to pay good money for quality design.

A lot of what a client will pay, initially relies on reputation and sales pitch. As with all sales, if you can create a need and base it on a respected brand you can charge what you like.

I find it very hard to get my head round this. Check out this pricing to give you head a spin!

Design Wishlist - How much does graphic and website design cost?

and then check out there work

The Design Department. Graphic Design. Website Design. Packaging Design. Advertising design. Logo and Branding. For Kent Sussex Surrey and Hampshire » Promotion Website Design

(This is just one of many design agency's charging very high pricing, im not in any way picking these guys over anyone else)

So am I to think that they can price so highly because of the staff and overheads they have to cover? Because I know I can create websites to that level, but theres no way I could get clients paying that price. So what makes a client think "yeah thats a fair price" to a 4k website from them, but no to a 1k website from me.

I find the whole pricing on sites to be very strange and varying!

So am I to think that they can price so highly because of the staff and overheads they have to cover? Because I know I can create websites to that level, but theres no way I could get clients paying that price. So what makes a client think "yeah thats a fair price" to a 4k website from them, but no to a 1k website from me.

I find the whole pricing on sites to be very strange and varying!

Why can't you get your clients to pay that price? It's all about the look and feel of you and your organisation. Your personal branding so to speak.

There's only myself at Canny Creative, and like I've said before, I've managed to pull in web projects for £1k numerous times (all the time now to be honest) and then some exception projects of £5k and £10k. It's all about your approach to the prospect. If they come to you, you've got an all around better chance, you're not trying to convince them into the work.

You need to show a client why they need your services, and ultimately, why it's going to make them more money. If they don't see their return on investment immediately, they'll become disinterested. Business is money. Talk money early on, eliminate the non-starters, take on the good payers. Sorted.

It never hurts to ask for more you have got them invested kn the project. Try using payment scales to soften the risks. 1000 is reasonable for a decent wordpress websire with professional graphic design. 4000 is about the highest I earned for WINCRO: Wincro Metal Industries

Back