How much do you charge?

Xenonsoft

How much do you charge for a logo? Obviously, obviously this can range dramatically, but forgetting the extremes (0-5% & 95-100%), what sort of range are you looking at for simply a logo design, nothing more nothing less?

I'm just intrigued as I have little knowledge on what the market 'norm' as such is, and it interests me.

Oooooooh! that's a question and half!
Not sure I would want to answer that one publicly!

I'm on Emptee's as well, and the topic of money turned into a raging war between the established, the one their way characters and the new faces. I think money is always a difficult thing to cover, as it depends on the client, job, use...

There isn't really a right answer, as you could say it streches from free to thousands...

how long is a piece of string.... for me logo design is so subjective, and how you quantify that gives you the price!... from as far as i can make out anyways.

Yeah, I agree P. It can vary massively, if the client has a large budget you can (and I believe often should) charge more or if it's going to require extensive reasoning behind the final outcome, they'll both affect the quote.

I'm still interested though what people charge for a run of the mill, no outrageous requirements logo job. I'm new to the business, so I'm intrigued. Clearly if you've got a big reputation, a lot of work or are very good at what you do, you'll charge more, but I'll take that all into account.

Also @Berry, no worries at all, I can see why you're cautious :)

EDIT: Indeed Geoff, I agree that it can vary depending on many factors. An average would be fine, a range (forgetting the two extremes) or whatever you fancy. If anyone doesn't want to say, that's wholly acceptable. If you do want to let on, then I'm all ears.

I think that's the problem, there is no average for logo design, its like seo snake oil for designers :) (reaches out for tin helmet)

Well, technically, there is. It's all down to different factors, but there's always an average, you just haven't realised it yet.

atrium_newshot1.jpg

meet my old uni, are you ready, £60,000, for the atrium logo. But then you have to factor in that was part of a complete corporate package. I think it is one of the worst logos I have seen in ages, considering what it is for.

Yeah, not the best money ever spent, but 60k is nothing to a uni, that's like a class worth of money.

I'm still stumped at what to charge the client, but I guess I should be more concentrating on the actual logo rather than the costings right now!

Xenonsoft said:
I'm still stumped at what to charge the client, but I guess I should be more concentrating on the actual logo rather than the costings right now!

NO! No Dough, No Show ( BB BoL)
Agree the money first, then do the design, If you haven't agreed worth and value at stage one then you will spend the next 3 months argueing and haggling over it.
This is business, would you order a meal in a restaurant without knowing the cost?
I always before I do any work tell them them the money and put a value to the work. If they quibble at that stage then thre is no point. It's all about value and worth. Someone has to put a price on it. You have to be strong. My view at this stage, coming from your standpoint , if your a small freelancer trying to get a foothold and he is a small/med sized business. then charge him £250.

Xenonsoft said:
Yeah, not the best money ever spent, but 60k is nothing to a uni, that's like a class worth of money.

the ridiculous thing is that is the arts uni! they could have so easily offered it to the students! bit of an insult i thought.

Berry said:
NO! No Dough, No Show ( BB BoL)
Agree the money first, then do the design, If you haven't agreed worth and value at stage one then you will spend the next 3 months argueing and haggling over it.
This is business, would you order a meal in a restaurant without knowing the cost?
I always before I do any work tell them them the money and put a value to the work. If they quibble at that stage then thre is no point. It's all about value and worth. Someone has to put a price on it. You have to be strong. My view at this stage, coming from your standpoint , if your a small freelancer trying to get a foothold and he is a small/med sized business. then charge him £250.
I know Berry, everything you've said makes sense.

I struggle to force a price on the client. It's mainly that my portfolio really isn't large enough at this stage to do so. I need to be bolder I know, it's something I've got to do for future jobs. I'll send through my first drafts on Friday, let him know that it is just a first draft and tell him my pricings.

£250 sounds reasonable to me, I was thinking about the £200 mark, but it's hard to place a value on something that can make or break a company.

Thanks again B :)

Remember that you're not selling them a logo. A logo is just vector-outlines, numbers and mathematical thingies. The logo doesn't have any value at all in itself. what they buy is
1)Your time
2)The RIGHT TO USE IT.
So add the two, adjust by your level of experience and how massive the task is (will you need to do lots of research on the company and it's history or do they just want a pretty logo that works?).
And lastly, finding the "average" is pointless. It will be too influenced on big corps paying by the millions and the "typed in helvetica with gloss and a reflection" given away free for "portfolio purposes".

Cheers Electric. I understand what you mean.

I'm looking at a starting point of around £200 for the average logo job, if they have more requirements than normal then obviously it'll change accordingly.

Be glad you got some clients :p i wouldn't mind some extra freelance clients right now!

Me neither. Still not into the profit with the business! It's a good job I love it, and I'm learning a lot.

Seriously, negotiate your price and terms and conditions BEFORE you start a job!

I am learning this the hard way: I landed a large client in Holland a few weeks ago and was flown there to meet with the marketing people and discuss upcoming jobs last week.

Well I landed and they told me "oh, we need you to re-design artwork we got a local agency to design...and we need this by Monday" (it was Thursday).

Anyway, to cut a long story short, they gave me 3 jobs for the next 4 months but refused to discuss cost, price and timeframes with me (they kept changing the subject).

I bent over backwards to get them their re-designs by Monday and then they kept wanting change after change. By Thursday last week I was fed up so I sent them quotes and terms and conditions. I haven't heard a peep from them yet...not cool!

So, as Berry says, money FIRST!

yeah, money first! I learned that the hard way and it is very, very frustrating when a 'client' changes thier mind after doing a whole load of work.

As Berry said, £250 is fair enough. Im a little cheaper but thats completely from inexperience and not wanting to send people running away with steep prices. Finishing off two logo jobs and im getting under £300 for the two. Going to bump up my prices after though.

Back