• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

How many of you guys use instagram to find graphic design jobs?

hey dude everyone here knows how instagram is growing and becoming a portfolio kind of platform for graphic designers.
So how many of you guys have used it for finding work?And what was your experience?
those you who dont use it can also give the reasons why;);)I'm curious for that too:giggle:

scotty

Staff member
I've been thinking of using IG for a while now.
I 'think' I have an account somewhere but I need to use my Mac and not my phone.

I know there's an app for Mac but it's not supported any longer on the app store and you have to download it direct and I hear it's a bit limited.

I 'think' I have an account somewhere but I need to use my Mac and not my phone.

I know there's an app for Mac but it's not supported any longer on the app store and you have to download it direct and I hear it's a bit limited.
yeah pc or mac apps are too much limited but i think you can find something in the chrome store.:rolleyes:if there is an google chrome in you mac;).
it will be more nice.;)

I use it a fair bit now.

They have recently introduced a new feature that allows you to follow hashtags themselves, as well as individuals.

Try searching for #graphicdesignjobs #graphicdesignemployment #graphicdesign<your area> etc... Following them will mean any posts carrying those hashtags will appear in your feed.

It's worth pointing out that Instagram is essentially designed exclusively for smart phone use (desktop access doesn't really allow you to do as much as a smart phone unless you use a 3rd party app - which can be risky from a security standpoint). It's owned by Facebook and links to it really smoothly, acting as a kind of image/photo based mobile phone counterpart (it links to Twitter and other similar non-Facebook accounts in the same way).

Really, it's a pretty sparse - simple program when you get used to it. I find it quite nice to use.

If you've got enough in the way of quality images to post on a 1-3 daily basis and you take the time to correctly tag them, it will generally find at least a small following for whatever niche you cater to. The flow of interest/traffic towards your work can easily be manipulated (there are heaps of resources that cover this online). It's relevant as having lots of followers is desirable in social media land, potentially making you look good to prospective employers.

Paul Murray

Staff member
I use it but mainly for promoting my book blog and I actually find it a real pain to use at times. The Android app is iffy most days and has a tendency to just hang or repeatedly crash. You can't include clickable (or even selectable) links in posts, and much like Facebook the algorithm throttles the number of views your posts get (about 10% of your follower count on average) unless you pay to promote them. And maybe my fingers are too big/screen is too small but I'm constantly clicking the wrong thing thanks to some questionable UI decisions.

I don't think I'd ever consider using it as a serious platform for finding work just because I'd question the quality of the client. It is a consumer-focussed app after all and design is a B2B service. I've toyed with promoting some posts but I don't think my target market, or at least a commissioner is likely to be sat on a social media account looking for a designer. I occasionally get text messages from strangers who've got my number form somewhere asking about design work and I ignore them because I just know in my gut that anyone that starts a business conversation via an unsolicited text message will be a nightmare to work with. I feel it would be the same with IG.

I just imagine something like this would be a recurring nightmare… :giggle:

scotty

Staff member
I wanted to start to use Instagram as I'm setting up a t-shirt label and want to get down wit da kidz.
I just don't want to use my phone to do it.

Think I'll leave that side to my kids (sorry "KIDZ").

Hello Nayan,
>> I have not used yet for graphic designing, but would like to know whether it is helpful?is it?
As i said i have just steped into it,So i dont know much but i have seen many people posting their logo works and illustration works etc and when ever i follow them i get a message like "if you want graphic design contact us" these type of messages and there work is good so they must be getting clients.
And second thing is that its like creating a portfolio like in dribble etc so its okay to invest your time there a bit also
;););)

We're planning to do more with Instagram. Most activities (when we can) has been twitter. We'll give it a whirl and if fun will continue.

Has been very interesting hearing other folks thoughts on here.

We're planning to do more with Instagram. Most activities (when we can) has been twitter. We'll give it a whirl and if fun will continue.

Has been very interesting hearing other folks thoughts on here.
Yea,dont forget to share your experience of using it as a graphic designer ;);)
So we all get some knowledge

Hello scotty, I've found some pretty surprising solutions specifically found an app called Windowed that finally helps you to post images to your Instagram account straight from your Windows PC or Mac OS.

Check out Free apps post to Instagram from computer