How long for web design

Jordan

Hello all. Just a quick question for all you web designers. I currently work for a company designing websites and also do freelance. I have a question about how long it generally takes to design a website ready for build and whats the general process.
Lets say for example, you have been tasked to design a website for a Heating company, what would be your process and how long would you expect to have it finished to be able to price it correctly?
The reason I ask is because I work alone and have no one to compare to. It can take me anywhere between 1 and 3 days to design a mock up in photoshop ready to be cut up.

well if my website redesign is anything to go by I'd say around 1.5-2 years....
honestly the answer is how long is a piece of string, there are a lot of variables in web design

I was going to put how long is a piece of string? into the first message. :)
Lets say redesigning a website - using existing elements and improving them. Not the coding side of things.
First page and an internal page layout.

Its a pain designing something for yourself, one day looks good and then next its rubbish, been doing my new website for about 5 months. :)

Based on where I used to work, they usually take 3 weeks for internal mock ups. They will come up with 3 ideas and then narrow them down, and then present to client. As far as building, I have no idea because it varied depending on client feedback.

Hey Jordan,
Designing a website is sort of a long process to me. Assuming that you already have a brief and some guidelines, the next step would be creating the layouts. I usually prepare three different drafts varying in style; they include the home page and an internal page. it takes me two to three weeks. Once the client chooses one style and asks for changes, I design the actual layouts. That's where time becomes subjective. For big websites, an internal page layout could not be sufficient, because you might have to create graphic elements for specific pages. As always, there is not shortcut to quality.
The code is a different story. Even though you have the HTML from the old website, your layout could have a different structure requiring you to heavily tweak if not rewrite the code. Not to mention the CSS which would probably be very different. The new Illustrator CC comes in handy by generating the CSS for the vector elements you design, that you can copy and paste into your editor. It can save you some time.

Thanks for the feedback guys, yes the coding is another story, just seeing what kind of time scales and process for mock ups.

Depends really.
The majority of the small sites I do, which are just quick theme restyles take about 2 days to get up and live.
Some of the bigger sites that involve stripping it back and re building the entire front end take me about 2 weeks.

yes thats right. designing a small website with not much graphics takes 2 - 3 days but for designing a big website with excellent graphics usually takes 2.5 to 3 weeks.

It depends on the website; what the website is in actual and what designs the client wants to be in their website. If it is flash website then it could take more time.
So when I start my work for web designing then first I always review the clients requirements and time frame then I proceeds to start the work.

Back