How is it done

wac

I'm not sure that this would be classed as illustration. My first guess is that these have been created mathematically. I would just love to know the method.

Any ideas?

COMPLEXITY GRAPHICS

I think that using blends in AI could be a way of creating some of those geometric patterns and then taking them into PS to add the blingy stuff.

Ai's blend tool was my best guess too, but it just seems a bit above and beyond that. I would love to see a tutorial for something like this

Some of them look like they could have been done generatively, Processing, Nodebox or ActionScript or somesuch. I think it's Nodebox that allows you to output your code as PDF's that you can then take into Illustrator with all the layers intact. I've tried to have a go before but it's a bit beyond me:)

bit late...

I'd say a combination of things...to me they look like
- some are likely fractal's
- there's definitely some statistical data being plotted onto a graph in there (links project part 2), probably utilises some script on a website to plot a graph
- normal mathematical equations as plotted on a graph
- some look like images taken from a microscope and adjusted in colour/crop etc
- some look like they've been created using a wacom and photoshops tilt/rotate/fade brush tools
- some look like they've used a 'distortion grid' over an original image
- some look like splines have been rotated around the z axis to create the '3d spiral things' and then the whole 3d image is slightly rotated on the x axis to give it a slightly top down look

Also looks like she uses Max Cycling 74 for some of the work...

COMPLEXITY GRAPHICS looks like it uses ies light data (basically it's the luminance and output shape of a light and is usually used in 3d rendering to give accurate lighting) for the shapes as in it's simplest form it's a graph plotting the light if it was seen 'laying flat on a surface' (see attachment)

Attachments

• free-ies-lights.jpg
    free-ies-lights.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 2
  • diagrameticies.jpg
    diagrameticies.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1
Back