How do you market yourself? Freelancer? Company?

Like I say, I just to do it so it gives me the options to expand in the future. I don't plan on being The Lone Ranger forever.

Tony Hardy said:
Like I say, I just to do it so it gives me the options to expand in the future. I don't plan on being The Lone Ranger forever.
Yeah I get that Tony, but I dont think personally it would be a bad thing to work as a sole trader for a few years, then make an annoucement that Im starting up a studio and it will be called .......... and there will be 5 designers etc etc
Its a natural progession and one that your clients would probably be impressed by. But for me it wouldnt stop me playing off my strengths as a freelancer until the time is right to move on to something else (if that makes sense!)

Yeah that's fair enough. I think it was because I was just being lazy and I couldn't be bothered to have to rebrand and relaunch even further down the road. I'd rather just do it from the start and then get on with it.
Now I don't have to worry about making that announcement, I just exist as an "agency" already. Also, getting ranked for a design agency brings me more organic traffic through Google than I would've had as a freelancer. Something else to consider!

I market myself as just myself. I don't want clients thinking that if I am away from my office that they can talk to someone else or that they'll get several different services from different people. Then again, my skills are very defined, I'm not a jack of all trades, so when a client hires me, they're hiring me for a specific purpose.
I may look into the future, 2 years from now, into getting an intern that I can teach some tricks of the trade. That's if I'm getting enough work to warrant it. :)
ETA: Plus I feel like marketing as just myself makes it more of a personal experience for a client. They know they're not working with some big business and that they will get my full attention.

At first I thought about just making work under my own name, but decided what the hell I'll have a bit if fun with this and now I operate under a pseudonym which could easily be 'upgraded' so to speak as a collective if I ever feel like bringing more people on board.

At the moment I just represent myself (sound like a lawyer) and like Shauna says it gives the client reassurance that they're contacting me firsthand and not some secretary or something.

Back