Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I go about doing this?

Discussion in 'Graphic Design Forum:' started by Yoof, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Yoof

Yoof New Member

Hi guys,

New to the forum but not a designer myself. I'm having some posters done for an event. We'd like to create the look of the image found below using existing photos. Could someone advice us on the best ways to achieve this look? Thanks in advance.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

2. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member

Easy: hire a designer.

3. Yoof

Yoof New Member

Yes thanks...

The guy who does our posters is a graphic designer. But doesn't know exactly how to achieve this look without a lot of trial and error. So if anyone out there knows how to create this look. Could you please let me know so I can pass on the information. I'd very much appreciate it.

4. Katedesign

Katedesign Well-Known Member

I'm tempted to say 'hire a designer who knows how to achieve that look'....but I won't.

5. Corrosive

Corrosive Moderator Staff Member

Done with careful use of Photoshop brushes and a grungy background I'd imagine.

6. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member

I wouldn't either.

7. Ian Bonner

Ian Bonner Member

Hire a designer that knows how to do it and save a lot of time and heartache.

8. gman

gman New Member

Something like the 'Poster Edges' Photoshop filter combined with high contrast curves adjustments and overlaid on a grunge background would be the quickest way I imagine.

9. D_Harrsion

D_Harrsion New Member

Personally I would use 'threshold' for quickness then 'select colour' and paste onto a grimace background, dose leave it a little ruff but is quick

10. RickNash

RickNash New Member

After looking at the image briefly i would suggest to find a texture or scratched metal you the background to use as a blending layer

im not saying use this one put this is the idea what comes to mind ....here :icon_wink:

Good Luck

11. spottypenguin

spottypenguin Active Member

I'm not saying by any means this is great, it literally took me 2minutes. Fair enough you have a graphic designer but personally I'm a little surprised they wouldn't know how to achieve this type of effect...

but as others have said, threshold, overlays, textures, layers ... I'm sure they could figure it quickly, if not you really do need a new designer.

Attached Files:

12. Mandy

Mandy New Member

I had a bash at it - looked interesting! I made my pic grayscale, went to filter/extract and drew around the section I wanted, saved it and went to stamp in the filters section. I magic wanded the black, put a layer mask on it, then converted it back to CMYK and threw in a textured background - worked OK!

Bit convoluted - I apologise! Mx

Attached Files: