How do i create a typeface?

linziloop

Hi guys, so I'm wondering, i create a nice looking typeface/font in illustrator, where do i go from there so that folk can use it? What do you use to convert it into an actually usable typeface?! Never done it before, feel i should at least try, and i have a personal project I'd like to do it for rather than use an existing font....

Cheers!

Hehe yeah i downloaded a trial of one called fontographer but i was kinda wondering if there is one seen as the "industry standard"

Edit: and oddly, all the ones i seem to click on have awfully designed websites which leads me to think i haven't found a good one yet, i mean, if they can't even be bothered with a decent website, it doesn't say much for their software does it? I know i know, shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but I'm a designer! These things matter lol!

Last edited:
I was editing my previous post to say I’d remembered and it was Fontographer :)

I think (not sure though) that it used to be made by Macromedia? As for industry standard don’t know I’m afraid.

Fontographer was excellent. Shame Adobe killed it when they bought macromedia.

Fontlab Studio is indeed what you're after. It ain't easy though.

I recently created a custom font for Beauty UK Cosmetics (see attached) by using Illustrator and then importing it into a program called Typetool. Typetool is one of the more basic (and cheap) font creation programs but by using it with Illustrator I found it to be more than efficient.

buk_youBeauty.jpg

Check out our full website here or become a fan on Facebook

Back