HOW Contest Entry

shaunalynn

Hey everyone!
I'm finally submitting something to critique! I just wanted to get some feedback on how this is feeling. It's for the HOW Design Veteran's grant which, if I won, would award me with a paid trip (minus food) to the HOW Conference in September. I'm sure I'll have a lot of competition in it, but it's worth a shot! I have to list out my "reasons" still, but this is where I'm at. Any feedback is appreciated. :)
Screen%20Shot%202013-05-09%20at%209.33.11%20AM.png

Whoops! I knew I was forgetting something. It's a contest in the US to win a trip to the HOW conference. You have to do either an essay, video or poster on why you should be chosen. So this is mine, well the start. I'm going to be updating this shortly because I'm about 4 reasons in. :)

Fake chalkboard, Tony. :) unless I say otherwise just assume its all digital lol! I hate how chalk feels and hate the sound it makes. So I stick to faking it.

I'm still working out colors and such. And I need to switch brushes, the one I'm using lacks the grittiness I like.
Screen%20Shot%202013-05-10%20at%201.48.41%20PM.png

It's really good :) I'm looking forward to seeing how you finish off the note. I see what you mean about the grittiness, but it's looking good so far!

I am surprised at how much better it looks, it's looking really great :) Any more going to be done with that green note?

I'm full of surprises haha. I'm not sure yet. It's pending how long the filigree takes. I have to fill in ALL the negative space. Yikes!

Absolutely stunning! All of it! Apart from the note. I don't know what it is specifically that I don't like about it, and I've no idea what to suggest on how to improve it, but I don't care because the rest of it is so great. I love the use of colour and the filigree really finishes it off, which must have been the most laborious task of the whole design, any tricks to getting it to look so consistent? How many hours do you reckon you spent on it?

Shaunlynn, My sincere compliments for the beautiful layout; you clearly have a great understanding of how to fill the space. In the age of extreme minimalism you found a nice way to pack a rectangule with a multitude of elements; yet, we don't miss negative space here.Keep up with the good job!

That looks really great. You must have spent ages doing that. That'd be a nightmare in Illustrator!

shaunlynn said:
Final that I sent in:
Spanczyszyn_screenshot.jpg
Feckin hell....... I saw the first update and thought, "yeah, thats lookin pretty decent" HAHA.
But now, just ...................................................................
Silence speaks volumes. I just like lookin. If you don't win, please send me their contact details.
Thats really got me in the mood for the week ahead!!! BOOM!!!

We need a better way to display members work on the forum...! People need to see this! :)

You guys are so awesome!!! <3

They said they narrowed it down to 8 entries but haven't announced who yet for public vote. I'll keep you all posted! :)

shaunlynn said:
You guys are so awesome!!! <3

They said they narrowed it down to 8 entries but haven't announced who yet for public vote. I'll keep you all posted! :)
If yours isn't in that 8 I'd certainly do like Bart Simpson and "eat my shorts".......

Back