How can I remove lines from scanned in drawing

missjones

I'm verrrrry new to Illustrator and having trouble doing the following.... I want to scan in a line drawing and be able to colour in the fields, but not show the lines in my drawing. its to be filled in with simple block colour, for children's wallcovering designs. I did the live trace and expand business, which allows me to fill in my lines with colour using live paint, but where the lines cross there's a jumbled mess of paths (i think they're called) so it looks messy. can anyone suggest an alternative way?

dont use illustrator. Scan and auto trace in illy, then photoshop, most reliable method by far.

Hello there Miss Jones.

I usually draw out the line work with a fine liner type pen.
Scan the line work. Then in Photoshop adjust the levels to clean up line work.
Make a new layer and switch scanned image to Multipy (its under Normal in the layers palette). This has the effect of making the line work transparent. Now on the new layer under the scanned image colour away. No worries about going over the edges. Nice

Also if you do your line work with a pencil and use unsharpen mask you can get good rough line work.
Muck about its fun.

Typo said:
Hello there Miss Jones.

I usually draw out the line work with a fine liner type pen.
Scan the line work. Then in Photoshop adjust the levels to clean up line work.
Make a new layer and switch scanned image to Multipy (its under Normal in the layers palette). This has the effect of making the line work transparent. Now on the new layer under the scanned image colour away. No worries about going over the edges. Nice

Also if you do your line work with a pencil and use unsharpen mask you can get good rough line work.
Muck about its fun.

I thinks that what I meant to say.

Well I don't think about it to much it's just automatic, files under Actions in my nugget.Anyways hope it helps.

I could just refer you to some dull tutorial.

Typo said:
Well I don't think about it to much it's just automatic, files under Actions in my nugget.Anyways hope it helps.

I could just refer you to some dull tutorial.

leave chris alone! he's trying! we all know he's a hopeless case...

mrp2049 said:
dont use illustrator. Scan and auto trace in illy, then photoshop, most reliable method by far.

Much agreed with that comment, photoshop is good for editing out lines, I use a soft brush eraser to do it normally, nevery accurate if you set the brush correctly.

Back