How can I improve this mark?

Glitchin

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of designing a logo for a political lobbying group. The initials of the group are CF.

I will be submitting several design options, one of which includes the initials of the organisation with the letters fashioned to look like a megaphone (please see attached image).

The logo will appear online, on the groups website, Facebook, twitter etc as well as on stationary, leaflets, letterheads etc.

I would really appreciate any constructive criticism and advice on how I might improve the design.

Cheers, Glitch.

Attachments

• Untitled-10.png
    Untitled-10.png
    62 KB · Views: 13
You could try and make the lines a bit thicker and make it more like a recognisable CF. I would lose the semi-circle.

I think it's one of those that isn't going to really work, if you make it look more like megaphone, the less
it will look like C and F, and vice versa. To me, it looks more like a torch or an eye from the side.

I'd question the visual of a megaphone as a whole. Whilst it's a clear metaphor for getting your voice heard, I associate it more with protests, fringe groups and rallies – the underdog movement if you like. Admittedly I don't know anything about the client and I'm just playing Devil's advocate really, but if they were my client I'd want to avoid any identities with possible negative connotations.

I appreciate the feedback guys thanks.

Unfortunately I think Wardy might be right. The challenge has always been making the CF look like a megaphone, but the more I make it look like a megaphone, the less it looks like a CF. Argghh back to the drawing board.. literally lol

What I saw before reading your post was a megaphone and an eye at the end, so I thought it was something related to hearing and vision. I also thought it may have been made up of letters, it being a logo an all... but the only letter I deciphered was a 'q'.

Maybe if you have the C and F in another colour or shade it will stand out more as letters as well as a megaphone. The only issue is, if you need colour for your logo to be understood in the way you intend, then it isn't really working as a logo.

Yeah, it has to work in black and white. I'm ditching this idea now anyway.

This is without doubt the most challenging branding project I have ever took on in my short career to date. Everything about it is difficult, but I'll get it done.

I appreciate the feedback though, at least this thread has shown me that this is not a viable option. I need to rethink the whole thing.

When you find the solution you'll be amazed at how simple and obvious it was all along :)

The annoying gift of hindsight, "Why didn't I think of that in the first place?" - The reason why so many people think what we do is easy and want to pay £50 (and less) for such logo designs. They only see the end result, never all the hard grafting, work in progress that we do to get to that point.

When you find the solution you'll be amazed at how simple and obvious it was all along :)

I've tried simple, I've tried obvious.. I'm not happy with anything I've tried. But yeah the solution has to be simple, it is a logo afterall but sometimes getting simple right is not so simple if you know what I mean.

If logo design was easy though, I wouldn't find it so interesting.

I would have ditched the curl on the bottom of the 'f' and bulked up the line thickness. It's not a bad angle, and personally I quite like the megaphone metaphor (Mmmm... ...Megaphor).

Now I did see a megaphone when I looked at it, unlike some of the others but I also didn't see it as CF. However I did see a way of showing CF in it and it's easier to show this than describe it so I just did the changes really quickly.

Now the extra line for the f is still part of a megaphone because if you look at most of them they have the 'middle cone' inside the speaker. The gap at the bottom is enough to differentiate the F while not preventing it look like a megaphone.
Is it perfect, no, but it can hopefully show the idea I saw when I looked at it although I was also thinking of maybe deleting the 'sound' part on the right.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 8
Now I did see a megaphone when I looked at it, unlike some of the others but I also didn't see it as CF. However I did see a way of showing CF in it and it's easier to show this than describe it so I just did the changes really quickly.

Now the extra line for the f is still part of a megaphone because if you look at most of them they have the 'middle cone' inside the speaker. The gap at the bottom is enough to differentiate the F while not preventing it look like a megaphone.
Is it perfect, no, but it can hopefully show the idea I saw when I looked at it although I was also thinking of maybe deleting the 'sound' part on the right.

Wow that is way better isn't it.

I really appreciate you going to the trouble of doing that Levi, thanks. I am however a little concerned I didn't think of it myself lol

I would have ditched the curl on the bottom of the 'f' and bulked up the line thickness. It's not a bad angle, and personally I quite like the megaphone metaphor (Mmmm... ...Megaphor).

Thanks Jri, I'll try that.

After these last couple of comments I think this is worth exploring further.

Great forum :)

I am however a little concerned I didn't think of it myself lol
Likly the same issue we all get from time to time where we basically get a 'creative block' after looking at the same thing over and over.

Not to mention we all look at things differently depending on our own design backgrounds, mines product design and 3D so I kind of saw a bit missing lol.

Back