Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How amazing is Opera 10?

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Jazajay, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

Hay guys and gals today i updated to opera 10 and OMG turn on Opera turbo and jease talk about an increase in speed it's so fast, and the design has finally torn me away from Firefox from everything but web work. Truly amazing.

Anyone else noticed anything cool you can do in Opera.

I'm TBH new to Opera outside of web testing so any tips on using it would be appreciated, but the speed of Opera 10 with turbo turned on wow just amazing so far!!!!!

O yeah what are gestures and how do I use them?

2. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

Opera eh? I've actually never ever ever used it. What percentage are opera users? out of all browsers?

3. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

O dude give it a try I'm normally a dyed in the wool follower of Firefox but Opera Turbo just loaded this page alone 3 times faster than it would without it on, and without it on to me looks like the same time it would take Firefox to load it. It is so quick it's unreal.

4. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

It is quite fast... but the design is still steering me towards Firefox or Safari :)

Is there a reason why you wouldn't/shouldn't have Turbo enabled all the time?
    Edit: aha, never mind. it drastically reduces image quality
    Edit2: and it disables youtube videos

5. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

Opera wasn't enough for me, I went back to firefox. Still use opera on my pda and phone though as they're pretty good.

Jaz, the turbo mode is only fast as its all compressed by opera's server before hand.

Glen marketshare is around 3% last time I checked

6. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

@Onartis
    From their documentation it's because it doesn't actually retrieve all the pages elements and it adds more compression so in some circumstances images may not be as sharp as they can be and could be slightly distorted, but I haven't noticed any problems yet TBH.

Really I personally prefer their basic skin to Firefox's or Safari's TBH, but you can add custom skins I think, or use other ones anyway.

@Levi

Yeah but that added compression makes a real difference TBH.

7. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

3% woah...get it to 5% and I might move across...maybe...

8. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

I use chrome for everything but web work for the speed and multitab featuring but I do love opera and think they have made browsers what they are today (they seem to introduce most changes first)

Arguably a much better browser to suggest to people not computer literate.

9. tbwcf

tbwcf Active Member

Installed Opera a while ago, never tend to use it but will upgrade and give it a go!

10. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

unless you want HQ images, there really wasn't enough gain over my firefox with addons to make it worth moving over even with turbo enabled.

11. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

I've got opera, I may well have another look at it!