Hovering Art Directors

haha classic, its worse when account managers are giving their view and crtique. "Why don't you add a rainbow background" :notworthy:

that winds me up just looking at it!!
nothing worse than an AD making little changes over your shoulder, then after 5mins of it then they say "hmm, it doesnt look right, Im not sure what it is, Ill leave you to it" and you think "it was fine until you walked over, made a right mess of it then left me to clean up!"

I know there's the whole rank and file issue, but I can't help but think that some times if the designer stood up for themselves then perhaps some of these issues might go away? There are probably a lot of less confident "designers" that haven't really studied it much that much and don't feel comfortable taking charge with their designs, relying on colleagues to make the decisions for them so that they don't get the (probably highly likely) blame for something that doesn't look good. When I say doesn't look good, I mean when someone who knows nothing about design thinks something doesn't look good, when that someone is your boss, in control of your wages, there must be a large element of appeasement for the sake of job security.
I have no doubt that there just a lot of screwed up situations though, where the poor designer is shackled to the inferior and unqualified opinions of workers around them. :( Interesting to think about though.

I think you have a point in some situations Sean, but there have been times in my career when I have stood up to the Art Director, or even the MD in arguing over a change and in the end it always comes down to rank, sometimes they see sense, more often than not they remind you who is in charge. A lot of the time it comes down to ego's and people trying to justify their wages by trying to look busy, even if they arent needed!

This is funny to see. I don't have anyone looking over my shoulder. I'd be worried if I did, as that would mean someone had broke in and was just watching me work, alone, in my house. Could be pretty creepy.

davewill said:
I think you have a point in some situations Sean, but there have been times in my career when I have stood up to the Art Director, or even the MD in arguing over a change and in the end it always comes down to rank, sometimes they see sense, more often than not they remind you who is in charge. A lot of the time it comes down to ego's and people trying to justify their wages by trying to look busy, even if they arent needed!
Yeah I can see that happening quite a lot... it's a shame really. I guess design is so subjective that they feel their opinions are just as valid as a designers, perhaps there is an element of truth to this..... maybe, haha.
Hahaha Davo, same here, it'd be very odd!
Ahaha, that hoovering directions image is hilarious!

I've got a Hovering Director issue at the moment who doesn't know sh*t about design.
He's even took took to leaving his chair positioned behind me.
I don't like people in my bubble while I work so this winds me up no end.
He's also a 'mouse grabber' so when he wanted to see a banner I'd done so I opened a jpeg and he (predictably) went for the mouse.
I left it quite a while before I told him it was a jpeg as I was enjoying watching him clicking the text in confused, frustration trying to edit it.

Infatuate !! :) Great stuffs with amazing representation. Yeah tumbler is great of short things. :thumbup1:

Back