Hosting?

GibbonIt

Just a simple quick question.
I am looking at getting a Wordpress template and building my website...
What hosting do you recommend?
Cheers
Ben

I told you in a message that Vidahost were great. Lots of people I know use them and nobody has any complaints. And to be honest, their basic package is £20. You're not going to get much better value for a quality service like theirs.

You can dig around and around for web hosting and in the end you just have to go with what people recommend and honestly, I'd recommend them to anyone.

Gibbon, you will have a continuous string of questions to ask every time you encounter something new, and if you are planning on running a WP website on your own, as someone who is not very technical, you're likely going to run into a lot of issues. It's quite disrespectful to initiate talks about a web project with multiple people on this site, then to cancel and just bombard us with questions on the work that we're trained to do.

I personally use NemoDesigns to host my Wordpress sites, i've never had a problem with them. Also another good one is OpenMind Hosting.

Got to go with Sean on this... it would be better for you to go for an 'all inclusive package' which includes the website and the hosting for the first year and then pay for hosting yearly after that either directly or via the person who does your website.

Sean Lee-Amies said:
Gibbon, you will have a continuous string of questions to ask every time you encounter something new, and if you are planning on running a WP website on your own, as someone who is not very technical, you're likely going to run into a lot of issues. It's quite disrespectful to initiate talks about a web project with multiple people on this site, then to cancel and just bombard us with questions on the work that we're trained to do.
I don't really understand how an ADMIN can quite rude like that when I have already explained to the people I was originally talking to that I am now going with a WP theme which Tony kindly recommended instead of the work you offered. As at the stage in design I am at, it was a better option. You need to respect other decisions too. I simply asked you for an estimate, nothing final, and asked other people too as I presumed originally that was the route I was going to take. You will draw away amateurs from this site and ruin the community if you can't be bothered to answer a quick questions from a rookie in need. If you don't want to post an answer that will help, please don't.
EDIT: I asked two questions that weren't directed solely to you anyway
chrismitchell said:
I personally use NemoDesigns to host my Wordpress sites, i've never had a problem with them. Also another good one is OpenMind Hosting.
Cheers Chris, will definitely check them out.

How is what sean said rude.... he said exactly what is going to happen... you're going to have issues galore with word press based on the questions you are having now... it's not a simple thing to get to grips with, you need to have some basic understanding of how a website works for starters

I think the lack of understanding might be one of the causes of this situation. We're all more than happy to help people here, but the way you've gone about it all is very confusing, hence why other people are of a similar opinion... not just myself. Can't be bothered to help a rookie in need? Yes, that's why I offered to help you and answered every single one of your questions previously on the forum, in private message and email. Why don't you look through my forum posts and have a look for yourself how often I "don't help a rookie in need"?
The fact is that we're all more than happy to help, and have given more time to you than most who come here. I'm sorry that you don't want to take peoples advice on-board, but let's please at least keep this civil, you've made a positive impact on this community so far, and I can see that you're keen to get involved but this is not the way to behave.
So, presuming that you're now not going to be hiring any one to do this for you and your company, let's see what we can do to help you with your web hosting. If you're using a CMS then you won't get away with the cheap £3 p/m web hosting packages, you'll need something proper. I've used Nemo Designs for the past year and they're okay to use. Tony swears by VidaHost so they're probably good to use too, can't speak for too many others. Avoid GoDaddy and iPage like the plague.
Good luck setting up your CMS, have you used PHP before...?

Setting up Wordpress is a pain in the ass at first, If you want to learn how to do it Google/YouTube is your best friend. Loads of step by step projects.
If you need some hosting my friend has his own hosting environment and will set everyting up for you. Think he charges around £100 a year for hosting.

Jordan said:
Setting up Wordpress is a pain in the ass at first, If you want to learn how to do it Google/YouTube is your best friend. Loads of step by step projects.
If you need some hosting my friend has his own hosting environment and will set everyting up for you. Think he charges around £100 a year for hosting.
Cheers Jordan, will keep looking at YouTube videos and maybe get in touch soon.
Ben

I am looking into DreamHost, is that a good option? The reviews are around 4*, and I have noticed it is recommended by Wordpress.
Has anyone got any experience with them?

Cheers

I knew there was one I forgot. I used them once, never again. The moment you need to use their support you are screwed. Oh and you'll need it a lot because they lock away most of the important controls from your account...

I use Limpath. £9.95 a month for reseller account. Very reliable and top notch customer service. Been with them since my first hosting package, never even thought of moving.

Do you have a link to their site?:
The Simulator said:
I use Limpath. £9.95 a month for reseller account. Very reliable and top notch customer service. Been with them since my first hosting package, never even thought of moving.
Cheers

Again, Vidahost are second to none. Not had any problems at all. And for £20 I still can't work out why you're looking elsewhere? :blink:

Also, for setting up Wordpress now, most places have Softaculous or when you buy an account, they allow you to install it from the off. I know Vidahost will install WP or any other CMS/forum sort of thing from the off.
Just go here; http://my.vidahost.com/aff.php?aff=1277 and get yourself a package ordered. Getting me a few quid in the process ;)

Tony Hardy said:
Again, Vidahost are second to none. Not had any problems at all. And for £20 I still can't work out why you're looking elsewhere? :blink:

Also, for setting up Wordpress now, most places have Softaculous or when you buy an account, they allow you to install it from the off. I know Vidahost will install WP or any other CMS/forum sort of thing from the off.
Just go here; http://my.vidahost.com/aff.php?aff=1277 and get yourself a package ordered. Getting me a few quid in the process ;)
Hi Tony, looks like I am going with VidaHost if you could answer one more question: Which package would you recommend from past experience? Cheers

GibbonIt said:
Hi Tony, looks like I am going with VidaHost if you could answer one more question: Which package would you recommend from past experience? Cheers
It does seem a good option too, Cheers for recommending

Back