Hosting Recommendations

I have had enough of my current host, my site is often down and the support is difficult to access. I have decided to move but would value any recommendations.

Now that the decision has been forced upon me I am also considering:

·Reselling hosting to my clients (although this is not my primary concern)

·Moving my site to as dedicated server (only because of the issues I have been experiencing with uptime with my last 2 hosts) perhaps this is overkill and all I need is a reliable company.

The hosting would have to be located in the UK.

Anyone have any ideas?

Justin

Hi Justin,

I have been with a web hosting company now for 5 years. The company is called Cyber Host Pro and is Based In Manchester (Or very near Manchester). The company offers an excellent fast response support team who get back to you in about 5 hours if that. The have phone, email, ticket and Live Person support which is available 24 hours a day all year round, everyday.

The company keep investing in new equipment ie server hardware, servers, software etc. Ever since I started with them I have never had any complaints what so ever, they are excellent in my opinion. I am currently running a Silver Reseller account which has been excellent. In the past I've used Shared accounts which have also been great. I have used both Windows 2008 Resellers and Linuix Reseller. I have had the access to control panels such as DotnetPanel and cPanel. I truly adore the services of CyberHostPro and would advise to go with them.

There are a lot of "Big Time" Companies around the web such as rackspace and fast host. When you buy with these guys you may think your getting a great deal but when it comes down to it support and service is poor.

I hope this helps you out buddy, I've left the link below for you. The website has just bee redesigned for speed and effciency and is very good. Visually I have seen better but please believe me when I say this....they really do give a great service.

Cyber Host Pro

The only hosting company I have ever been satisfied with and the only one I have ever recommended without hesitation is United Hosting:

• UK servers
  • up-to-date PHP and MySQL versions
  • servers run under capacity and are extremely well managed and monitored
  • very prompt, attentive and near faultless support
  • reseller packages
Only a few down sides: not the best control panel, not the biggest allocation of HD space, and not the cheapest for shared hosting, but the service is so good, it feels more like a VPS. UH is head and shoulders above the rest in my experience.

Hi Justin,

As I've mentioned in a few other threads, I'm with a host called Openmind, they're also UK based and have excellent support. I'm running a reseller Linux account, which comes with WHM for the root, and then cPanel for each of the domains on that reseller plan.

HTH,
Greg

Beware of cheap hosting. It can seem absolutely fine for ages, until things do go wrong - then you find out why it is cheap.

Also be very wary of high HD and bandwidth allocations, this is usually a bad sign.

Even good hosting is cheap, so shopping around for the cheapest really is a false economy.

guru24 said:
Also be very wary of high HD and bandwidth allocations, this is usually a bad sign.

Good tip, so many companies offer unlimited bandwidth but then seriously under-estimate the average client usage, then when things go wrong the support is impossible to get hold of. Heard some horror stories over the years :blink:

Thanks for your help guys...

Am having a hell of a time with my current host and don't want to spend any more time messing about with them.

How easy is it to administer reseller accounts, I'm not a complete dunce but not a techie either?

Justin

JustinMarch said:
How easy is it to administer reseller accounts, I'm not a complete dunce but not a techie either?

Hi Justin,

It's pretty straightforward, in my reseller account I have WHM where I can setup packages, you then create a new account for your client within WHM assigning a package (packages are made up of limits for bandwidth, webspace, email accounts, etc.) it then creates the account with cPanel access. You can then send the cPanel login details to your client if they wish to use that or just admin that yourself, as I usually do. All in all it's very simple once you get used to it, if you've had previous experience of WHM and cPanel you'll find it very easy :)

From cPanel, for each account, you have control over FTP logins, e-mail accounts, MySQL databases, etc. Some clients may want this level of control themselves whilst others will just want you to manage it all.

HTH
Greg

guru24 said:
Beware of cheap hosting. It can seem absolutely fine for ages, until things do go wrong - then you find out why it is cheap.

Even good hosting is cheap, so shopping around for the cheapest really is a false economy.
Well it's been recommended by several magazines, I'll trust their judgement. It has been doing fine for the past 2 years, and at only €23/year (incl. domain) it still would have been a good investment even if it does fail in the near future :clap:

Back