Hosting / Domain Help

emmadesigns

I am currently in the process of planning to go self employed and I plan on offering hosting via Reselling Hosting. However I could do with a few tips on this and Domain Registering as its always been a sticky topic for me. If i offer hosting would i need to register the domain for the client as well? And since it would be from my own account i assume the client would pay me monthly? I have heard of of web designers just doing everything from one initial payment but don’t they loose money from the yearly/monthly fees?

I'd say it depends on what you want to offer and how flexible you want to be: there are lots of entirely valid ways to set up and bill for this sort of arrangement, I'd have thought.

I want to be flexible but not loose money :icon_smile: Ideally i would like to say to a client that I would sort out the domain and hosting for them but i am not sure how that gets paid for. Do they pay me monthly or yearly? Or is it a one off payment from them and i continue paying for the hosting and domains after? Or do i do it the simple way and offer hosting but they register and pay for their own domain? It would be good knowing what others do on this.

I want to be flexible but not loose money :icon_smile: Ideally i would like to say to a client that I would sort out the domain and hosting for them but i am not sure how that gets paid for. Do they pay me monthly or yearly? Or is it a one off payment from them and i continue paying for the hosting and domains after? Or do i do it the simple way and offer hosting but they register and pay for their own domain? It would be good knowing what others do on this.

We provide hosting and then invoice for domains and hosting on a yearly basis.

i also resell but its really so I can manage a site for a client and offer an inclusive package.

ie i offer or one or two years free hosting and sometimes the domain as part of the web dev/design package.

luckliy I have a developer background so am ok with fiddling with servers and databases etc etc.

i prefer the client to buy their own domain though as they are so cheap and that way they can mange that themselves.

I'm using Vidahost, I buy all my clients domains/webspace etc through my account then they have an awesome 'push' service, that lets me push the site to my client.

Pretty nifty.

Thank you for your replies. Its always so tricky when your starting on your own for the first time. I don’t think ill offer domain names just yet but I am a little stuck as to what to to in terms of hosting. I would like to offer hosting via reseller hosting but its a lot of money to spend before you have a client base. However not offering hosting doesn't look as attractive. What is the best thing to do when starting out? I am currently on 123 Reg (which i love) and they have recommended Web hosting reseller | Hosting reseller | Resellers

I'm using Vidahost, I buy all my clients domains/webspace etc through my account then they have an awesome 'push' service, that lets me push the site to my client.

Pretty nifty.

Vidahost looks like a good starting point. Although 25 accounts is low it give me space to get started rather then pay for unlimited before the wheels are turning.

Hi Emma

Not sure if you’ve set yourself up yet but thought I’d be a bit cheeky and put a referral code on here for Vidahosting. The code DJBHOSTING will get you 10% off (and will get me a couple of quid), but this is actually quite a neat thing they do. You can set up an affiliate account and then give out these codes to any clients who insist on setting up their own webspace. The client gets a discount and you still get a little cut of the proceeds without any of the hassle of setting up their hosting. Win win!

Hi Emma

Not sure if you’ve set yourself up yet but thought I’d be a bit cheeky and put a referral code on here for Vidahosting. The code DJBHOSTING will get you 10% off (and will get me a couple of quid), but this is actually quite a neat thing they do. You can set up an affiliate account and then give out these codes to any clients who insist on setting up their own webspace. The client gets a discount and you still get a little cut of the proceeds without any of the hassle of setting up their hosting. Win win!

Thank You! It defiantly looks like a good starting point. I email their support last night and they are very quick at responding. I am in the process of finishing my business website and then i will start advertising. :icon_cheers:

I just have one last question. I have just found out today that the umbrella company that normally assists me can’t help with my self employment in terms of doing the paperwork. I was hoping to go under an umbrella company so they could do the paper work. Does anyone know of umbrella companies that do services for sole traders? I know it costs slightly more but I would probably add the additional fee to my price, and save me a lot of :icon_Wall:

Back