honest feedback on a logo

pixelpod

Hi there,

attached is a logo which I would very much appreciate some feedback on.
it's for a sustainable graphic design company.
I guess what I need to know is how do you read the logo? as in "podpixel" or "pixelpod" or something else maybe?
and do you think the spacing looks right. any other comments / suggestions

Thank you.

Attachments

• logo.jpg
    logo.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 18
definitely looks like pod pixel to me, top words are always read first.The P of pixel isn't recognisable enough, especially if that logo was half the size, needs to be the same colour right through and the stem needs to be extended. The l doesn't look great on the edge as it has now lost it's definition with the white space around it. I can see the idea behind it and it's not a bad one at all but personally I would place pixel at the top of the square, run the l down so that it wraps the word pod which would be placed in the same position as you have now just underneath the word pixel. With the rest of the space try a tonal pixel structure, cut into into sqaures giving each a different tone, just an idea. Personally I don't like the font for the word pod, keeping it the same font as pixel would be fine, keeps consistency through the logo

I think it's a great concept, but, there are a number of things that just aren't working.

1. the white text isn't working against a white background.

2. Why is the top left corner rounded and not the rest? It looks a little random.

3. I think the way that you've presented the text means that it could be read as either pod pixel or pixel pod. I think you need to make the leading word a little more prominent in the design.

4. Do I need to say much more?

It's a great start, but you need to work on the things mentioned above as well as add a level of uniqueness to the design.

No problem, don't get discouraged, logo design can some times be a long and arduous task...!

Chris here are some examples of sustainable steps I am taking;

Maximising the life of printed pieces - for example make sure the information is relevant for a long period of time so for example information leaflets don't go out of date too quickly and then become unsueable

Reducing the amount of ink if possible - so more white space or reduce the amount you want to say so you can use a smaller print format.

Using printers that are local and FSC credited, use vegetable based inks - the one I a currently dealing with is carbon neutral. - the fact they are local reduces the amount of transport for delivery

Using local hosting compaines and using green* hosting where possible, (*so servers that are powered by renewable energy)

My mac is powered my renewable energy and I work from home so reducing carbon emissions

With every design job a tree will be planted with weforest.

(I am in no way preaching just answering chris's question)

Just a note on FSC... You'll want to check your printers type of certification as I believe a large number of companies don the FSC logo to show their support for mother nature. The problem is that certification can often mean very little.. I know it's virtually irrelevant, it's just something that annoys me and you seem to be someone who genuinely cares.

Just a question, as you describe the (your?) company as a sustainable graphics design company, there must be a certain degree of importance assigned to that fact - so why not reflect it in your/their logo/identity?

I'm not getting the sustainable message from that logo, although I do prefer it as a mark to your original. Maybe try a square dot for the 'i' as it will resemble a pixel a little more.

I think it's good to advocate the steps you take to offsetting your environmental impact - but I think using it as your businesses 'ethos' is just re-using an overused buzzword.

If these are personal pieces rather than client pieces....

pixelpod said:
Maximising the life of printed pieces - for example make sure the information is relevant for a long period of time so for example information leaflets don't go out of date too quickly and then become unsueable
plenty of recycle centre's for paper etc now, and the recycled paper is pretty good quality too - you could also completely remove paper by using online formats such as pdf for some things...

Reducing the amount of ink if possible - so more white space or reduce the amount you want to say so you can use a smaller print format.
really does depend on context but you could use a laser printer rather than ink, it's better cost per page with black and white pages compared with inkjets...

Using printers that are local and FSC credited, use vegetable based inks - the one I a currently dealing with is carbon neutral. - the fact they are local reduces the amount of transport for delivery
don't see how this makes YOU sustainable, it just means you use someone else who is using sustainable practices...

Using local hosting compaines and using green* hosting where possible, (*so servers that are powered by renewable energy)
green hosting isn't always as economical as using a 'shared' hosting package. If you're the only one using the 'eco' server versus you and say 10+ others on a non eco server (which are actually pretty good eco wise these days.

My mac is powered my renewable energy and I work from home so reducing carbon emissions
what so you have solar panels, wind farm or just use a firm that 'sells' eco electricity, that's not always eco power. Also do you use oil to heat, gas to cook etc?

With every design job a tree will be planted with weforest.
why not a UK one....

As to the logo, seen it all before if I'm honest and like already said I'm not sure the steps you are taking is really enough to say it's a business ethos.

It's literally the bare minimum, you haven't even mentioned anything about travelling to clients etc. I already do 90% of the thing's you've mentioned but I don't 'advertise' the fact.

Plus most of things you've mentioned also help save money, so it's kind of common sense...

To me it looks like it reads '' Pod Pixel '' if it should read '' Pixel Pod '' maybe try making the word '' Pixel '' a little more prominent so it stands out more to the viewer and shows them that's the leading word because how it is now people would read it as both '' Pod Pixel '' or '' Pixel Pod ''.

I think this logo does not match with sustainable graphic design company. Try something more suitable..

as pod is part of the name I think the font size difference is too much, "pod" needs to be bigger, still not sure on the font you've used for pod either, just doesn't go with the rest.

Also pixel being the prominent word, why smooth circles? Chris is right with the "i", would make it better but everything else just seems too smooth

As pod is in the name, why not make the encompassing orange shape into some sort of pod? There is a lot to work with here, you've just got to start thinking a little more outside of the box.

Back