High Sierra is really glitchy . . .

Hippychick

I can no longer do a search on the desktop, it jumbles up my Photoshop layers & some don't even display so I think they're missing, when I upload/overwrite an edited image to website & refresh, it doesn't show the changes... & that's just 3 off the top of my head. Not sure about next upgrade to Mojave as a review stated it kept crashing their Mac same age as mine (2014) & may be even worse. I also have a much newer Mac but want to keep this one going too & not have to fork out for another just cos the operating systems are designed for the latest models. They've had thousands out of me over the years & I'm feeling a tad shafted by them now which is rather annoying, but I'll just have to put up & shut up... so is anyone good with Mojave?

…when I upload/overwrite an edited image to website & refresh, it doesn't show the changes... & that's just 3 off the top of my head.

This is likely a DNS issue. I had this problem a while ago when I swiched ISP. If you go to Network > Advanced (at the bottom) > DNS you can add a IP address. I use 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8 which are Google's DNS servers.

As for the other problems, I'm not sure, but my guess is just outdated/unsupported hardware. Personally I think I'm probably done with Macs, they're overpriced and underpowered, and technology changes too quick for them to be a worthwhile investment.

Thank-you. And having been all Apple since the early nineties cos it was the industry standard in my line of work at the time, I'm getting more & more irritated with little things I never used to come across, and just got rid of my iPhone as it was such a nightmare it was practically unusable! Relieved I DIDN'T invest in a Mac Pro cos for all I know, if I could even afford one (they're £3k now, up by £1k since I last looked – JEEEZUS!), it could be obsolete within just a few years cos a new operating system was only really written/designed for newer models. It's all rather disgusting in an age when we're supposed to minimise our waste, so I'll just persevere meantime while it all at least still works.

Try clearing your dns cache for the website issue. It might be left over dns conflicts from the previous os. I'd recommend doing this on a semi regular basis.

I'd also suggest using cloudflares dns servers over google, they're actually faster and cloudflare is selling the privacy angle, which considering we all know how much google likes our browsing data, is always a good thing:
  • For IPv4: 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1
  • For IPv6: 2606:4700:4700::1111 and 2606:4700:4700::1001

If I ignore the fact that my software is windows only I'm kind of like Paul, in as much as I like the look of a mac but they're far from being a sound long term investment at their current price premium imo. I was looking at a 'pdf reader' and 'notepad' tablet and when the new 8 inch iPad mini came out with stylus support I was like, yeah that should do what I want, but then when I looked at the price I was like... why is it so expensive it's not 'that good'.

In regards to desktops, at least in most cases with 'custom built' pc's you can swap out the parts that don't work bit by bit if you so wished, the current mac pro has a serious design issue in that you essentially can't replace/upgrade stuff.

Relieved I DIDN'T invest in a Mac Pro cos for all I know, if I could even afford one (they're £3k now, up by £1k since I last looked – JEEEZUS!), it could be obsolete within just a few years cos a new operating system was only really written/designed for newer models. It's all rather disgusting in an age when we're supposed to minimise our waste, so I'll just persevere meantime while it all at least still works.
Windows is no different. An old PC/laptop that worked just fine with Windows 7 will crash and burn if you try to install Windows 10. And even if you do get it do work, many of your old favourite programs just won't run anymore. And I read this morning that an upcoming update needs 32Gb of storage! That's not for Windows, that just to run the update.

Windows is no different. An old PC/laptop that worked just fine with Windows 7 will crash and burn if you try to install Windows 10. And even if you do get it do work, many of your old favourite programs just won't run anymore. And I read this morning that an upcoming update needs 32Gb of storage! That's not for Windows, that just to run the update.
Most of the reason that old pc/laptop/hardware won't work with windows 10 is generally down to the drivers not being updated to install on windows 10, the hardware is usually fine.

You can't go blaming MS for it all either because some companies are forcing obsolescence onto hardware so we're forced into buying new hardware. I know first hand as I had to 'extract' the drivers from the install package for a HP ADF scanner, the old drivers worked fine (they should seeing as windows 10 drivers are basically the same as windows 8 ones) but the installer wouldn't work on windows 10 because it was 'unsupported OS'.... HP wouldn't update it because they wanted us to buy new hardware.

That 32GB for the update is needed for a smooth 'feature' update, it's not the normal patches. Yes this change isn#t good for small ssd's, ie 32GB or less, but to be fair they never worked properly with major feature updates to start with. I've always had to install the update via iso on my mums HP x2 with 32GB ssd.

As to programs not running... don't think I've found even one program that didn't run and on the few that didn't like windows 10 there was usually a patch available.

Back