Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High resolution 300dpi maps??

Discussion in 'Graphic Design Forum:' started by Jez_Lumos, May 31, 2012.

1. Jez_Lumos

Jez_Lumos New Member

Hi all,

I need some maps for a 'directions page' does anyone know where I can get high res maps from or if there's a way of getting maps from google earth/ google maps that aren't 72dpi

Thanks!

2. Katedesign

Katedesign Well-Known Member

I'm assuming that you need to put directions on a brochure/leaflet... Most people (in print) draw their own in Illustrator. It doesn't have to be dead accurate usually a general one showing the A/main roads and then perhaps a detailed bit of how to find the end destination - small roads etc.

Just make sure that you get the right number of roundabouts... I once sent all the people coming to my house warming to the wrong side of the river we lived near - missed out a vital roundabout!

3. Jez_Lumos

Jez_Lumos New Member

This is pretty much what I have done, but an "actual map" has been specified.

4. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

Do a search on google for 'free vector UK maps' and you might come across something...

5. Jez_Lumos

Jez_Lumos New Member

Yeah , I have done. Nothing doing.

6. Katedesign

Somewhere deep in my computer I have a programme that makes real maps... though from memory it's only M, A & B roads, towns, counties etc. Ordnance Survey has the copyright on maps!

7. staunton_rook

staunton_rook New Member

google should offer the maps as vectors, they could make a fortune

8. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

A word of warning to anyone planning to use or copy a map from Google, Bing, etc. Many of these maps features "trap streets" (I think they're also called "oxygen streets"). These are basically fake or altered streets unique to a specific provider that are intended to identity anyone copying their maps without permission.

I'm not sure what the legality is of tracing over a map, but either way I'd recommend cross-referencing.

Katedesign likes this.
  9. dedwardp

dedwardp Member

This - when I've drawn maps before I've just print-screened Google Maps and drawn over the top of it.

I know you've specified you need to use an 'actual map', but I doubt you'll find anything at 300dpi for a local area, only national maps.

10. Katedesign

I would think if you are tracing over a map and recreating it you are safe from the 'map police'. I've redrawn my local area loads of times - keep them all in a map folder so that they are easily adaptable for the next client.

11. javax

javax New Member

If anyone is still looking for a map provider then I believe that OpenStreetMap has an export feature and I think that their licence allowes it to be printed too.

12. nunoband

nunoband New Member

Couldn't you take a screen shot or use Windows "Snipping tool"

And then,
    Is it not possible to draw on your print screen map, crop and then convert the image to 300+DPI on Photoshop?