Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi there

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by WhyAyeDesign, Dec 14, 2010.

1. WhyAyeDesign

WhyAyeDesign Junior Member

My name is Matt Barry and I run a small freelance design company named Why Aye Design.

I was born in Hexham, Northumberland and raised in the surrounding areas governed by a Geordie accent. ‘Why aye’ is a common phrase in the northeast of England and it literally means ‘Yes’. I don’t tend discredit any logical idea without trying it out first hand, saying ‘Yes’ opens you up to new experiences, expanding your knowledge of life and culture. I believe saying ‘Yes’ should be the main part of a designers manifesto and thought it appropriate to name my company accordingly ‘Why Aye Design’

From an early age I knew I wanted to be an Engineer, until I realised what an engineer actually did and what I wanted to do was to design bridges... this passion for bridge design slowly dissipated and was replaced with an urge to build things with Lego, Creating cities with Matchbox toy products or dismantling equiptment to see how they worked.

Jumping ahead some years to secondary school, I excelled in Resistant Materials and Product design receiving some of the highest awards achievable and participating in various competitions, as well as having a keen interest in the environment by studying environmental science and becoming a part of the BTCV, a environmental conservation group.

This lead me to enrolling in a ‘Furniture Design’ course at Sheffield Hallam University, and then to a Masters course studying ‘Product and Furniture Design’ at the same university. The skills I learned at Sheffield Hallam led me to Sheffield based furniture design company named, Finkfurniture - Extraordinary Furniture & Sculpture Based in Sheffield where I play a role as both designer and a furniture maker.

The skills gathered from these past experiences led me to start my own freelance design consultancy ‘why aye design’ where I try to supply a complete professional, ethical and imaginative design service, drawing from various resources and presenting the idea in a clear and concise manner.

If you think you can work with me please don’t hesitate to drop me a line or just check out my Blog or Facebook fan page for regular updates :)

Take it easy, Matt.
  2. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Another north easterner! There's quite a few of us here now.
    By the way, brilliant name.
  3. wac

wac Senior Member

Hi Matt, feeling the name pet!
  4. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Gan canny kidda.
  5. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

Gerrin there leek another one from the North East! Hope ya not a toon army fan though boro boro boro boro!!!
  6. rachely476

rachely476 Junior Member

Hi, I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!
  7. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Oh yes, all are welcome.
  8. Aarlev

Aarlev Member

Welcome aboard :)

9. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

Welcome rachely476!
  10. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Welcome to our planet.