Hi, there (London Based Student Designer)

klambert

Hi there ...

I've just finished my second year of studying Digital Design, although I'm now at the point where I've started freelancing and have landed a few regular graphic design clients.
My family background is that of Tradesmen and IT technicians, however I'm the only arty weird one, so my social circle is lacking sources of artistic advice, hence why I decided to come here.
So expect plenty of stupid, blindingly obvious questions from myself, for which in advance I apologise for!

Little bit about me, I'm London based, (although I live 40 miles outside, oh the joys of commuting, for cheaper rent). I've had previous experience in 3D modelling, Game and Web Design, as well Graphic Design. So my focus is more on Digital rather than print mediums.
Hobbies outside of design are Music, reading and railways, (sad I know).

Paul Murray

Staff member
I've had previous experience in 3D modelling, Game and Web Design, as well Graphic Design. So my focus is more on Digital rather than print mediums.
This is very similar to my route into design (I even started freelancing in my second year of uni and have been doing so ever since). When I was about 17 I was really into 3D modelling for games and looked at something in that field. Eventually I wound up working in CAD for a transportation firm before looking for a more creative form of design. I still dip into game design and code once in a while (currently loving the Godot engine) but I'd hate to work in the games industry, it's a terrible place to work.

klambert

This is very similar to my route into design (I even started freelancing in my second year of uni and have been doing so ever since). When I was about 17 I was really into 3D modelling for games and looked at something in that field. Eventually I wound up working in CAD for a transportation firm before looking for a more creative form of design. I still dip into game design and code once in a while (currently loving the Godot engine) but I'd hate to work in the games industry, it's a terrible place to work.
What software did you use?

Rather embarrassed to admit it but, my way in was making Freeware for Train Simulators for quite a while (couldn't have been a cool game, could it), which then turned into employment, making payware. The turnaround times needed for projects was nuts and sometimes I'd be doing 14 hour days. I still dabble in CAD now, one of my clients is a Diesel Loco preservation group. Would be great to do more CAD for transportation though.

Paul Murray

Staff member
AutoCAD was the tool I used for my job, with Cinema4D being my 3D package of choice. I really wanted to get into 3D design at the firm, but it's more inputting calculations into the software than it is actually building something. Maths has never been my strong point so I wasn't well suited to that job :giggle:

The game engine I was involved in was Reality Factory, it was a wrapper for another engine called Genesis. A team had basically created tools that allowed novices to build games using the engine and it had spun off into it's own thing. I was heavily involed in the community despite not really knowing anything about game design or the C++ engine!