Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi, I'm Marcus

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by mug2k, Jul 22, 2014.

1. mug2k

mug2k New Member

Fledgling web designer here and been learning web design for about 4 months and design for about 2 months. The former via Treehouse and Tutsplus and the latter mostly via books like The Non-designers design book by Robin Williams (no not the actor).

I'm 33 years old and looking for a total career change, for the past 8 years I've been selling on eBay not very successfully. I've never really been able to work out what I want to do with my life and got a few IT qualifications in my late teens to early twenties and also started to learn accountancy about 4 years back. I never enjoyed any of that but I'm enjoying learning web design and hope I can make something of this and get some sort employment in the next year or so.

My behance profile :-
    https://www.behance.net/mshanda (I plan to start coding up my side projects into actual sites soon)

Thanks for reading,
    Marcus

2. Hey there, welcome to DF!

That's quite a varied skill set you have there, are you ACA/ACCA qualified, or how did you go about learning accountancy?

So what sort of skills are you currently learning? How's your HTML 5/CSS 3? From what I can see from your work, it's not too bad. They are quite simple, and there are a couple of design issues but you gotta start somewhere right? :)

Let us know if you need any help!

younusjavaid likes this.
  3. mug2k

mug2k New Member

Whoops I think I oversold myself, it was actually a bookkeeping course and I completed the Foundation and Intermediate courses but it bored me stiff and I didn't want to carry on with it.

My HTML & CSS is ok and I'm going to refresh my knowledge pretty soon and try and code the designs I've made. I've come to the same conclusion regarding my designs and I think all look a little too similar. Could you please point out some of the issues you've noticed and any tips you may have?

Thanks,
    Marcus

4. iDesign

iDesign Member

Hi Marcus.

Welcome to DF :)
    It's a great forum full of advice and useful info.

Enjoy.

5. Hi Marcus

Welcome to Design Forums.

6. GilmoreVisuals

GilmoreVisuals Active Member

7. Marcus, I think the underlying issue, for me, with your current designs is the fact that in each one, the only thing you've used is standard fonts and blocks of colour. There is very little actual design work going on here - all the sites are essentially made up of rectangles and text.That's fine for some but the bigger projects require the ability to brand a website - make it exciting, communicate key values and messages and of course make it visually appealing, and not like a free WordPress template!

My advice would be to study some of the featured case studies on a site like Behance and familiarise yourself with professional, branded web design to give you some ideas on how to improve your own sites.

8. mug2k

mug2k New Member

Thank you for the critique, I think your right regarding the designs. What little I do know is based around layout/alignment I know I definitely need to up my game in regard to typography and colour and plan read up on these subjects soon.

I never knew about case studies on Behance so I'll look into those asap. I made a few changes to the book review design, let me know if you seen any improvement from the previous one?

https://www.behance.net/gallery/17292349/Book-reviews

9. Fair enough, and yes, Behance is great for inspirational work.

Let's take a look at this book page:

[​IMG]

I find it odd that the rating is made to be so prominent. It's linked to some sort of ranking system, most of which receive very specific reviews and often many are questionably accurate. That's my default association with ranking systems, it may be different for that website, but I think it might be more useful for people to be displayed a quote there instead, a carousel of short quotes would be better and have the stars be moved to just underneath the book image.

The book images could do with all being the same size for the sake of consistency, and I'm not sure if the double row of stars works very well.

My issue with this page is that again, it's just black text with one image for the book, and a few more (black) images for the stars. There is very little structure to the text either, it doesn't make me want to read on by luring me in with one focused, and short descriptive introduction - it's just one big block of text.

10. mug2k

mug2k New Member

I changed the design a little last night, has it not shown up on my the page I linked you to?, it should have blue instead of red.

The rating is something I've been unsure with and will most likely change it to something else at some point maybe something like a single words e.g Brilliant, Good, OK etc.

11. pnashir

pnashir New Member

Welcome Marcus, I hope enjoy in this forum. I'm also a new member.

12. younusjavaid

younusjavaid New Member

Welcome to DF, this is a great platform of learning about its design. i am also a new member here. Looking forward to it :)

13. Davidw

Davidw Member

Hi and welcome :)