Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi I'm a n00b from Milton Keynes

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by detachedindividual, Aug 14, 2010.

1. detachedindividual

detachedindividual New Member

Hey all,

Thought I'd pop in here and introduce myself.

I'm Robbie, I'm 32 and I live in MK.

Well, I guess I'll tell a bit about me.
    I work in Security and have always wanted a career being creative.
    I was raised by creative parents and my father was a very talented artist who never realised his dreams of doing something he loved for a living.
    And although they encouraged me, they also insisted on me being practical and getting into a career that actually had prospects.

I'm one of those people who everyone says should be doing something else. I doodle, and whenever I do I have people telling me I'm wasting my talent. I never really took this seriously until my parents passed.

I kind of decided when my father died that I wouldn't spend my life just doing a job, and so I started to consider creative avenues more seriously.
    I wrote a novel and had this published.
    I went to college and gained A level in fine art and design. This was on a government scheme; a basic "intro" course. Thankfully I was spotted within a few weeks by an A level tutor who immediately transferred me to her course.

Since then I have done a few things here and there creatively, but I'm now working hard on my portfolio with the intention to gain a position in a graphic design field.

I guess my main issues at the moment are the technical aspects of such a role. I'm great on the creative side, thinking outside the box, typography, colour; I have good instincts and abilities with regard to "what looks good".

My lack of education and experience in the field are my only obstacles IMO. Basic things like industry standards, format, software knowledge and so on are my stumbling blocks. I know my way around Photoshop and Gimp, not exactly amazing abilities and there's always plenty to learn, but I know how to use software to get the best out of it, and I learn quickly.

I fully believe that if I were ever in a position to be hiring in this field I would go by ability rather than degrees and experience. All of that can be gained over time, the raw ability is there from the start. So that's why I thought I'd give it a go and see what happens.

So, that's it from me. I guess I'll take a look around! :icon_thumbup:

2. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

Hey Robbie

Welcome to the Graphic Design Forums.

Cheers

Damon

3. Cookie

Cookie Member

Welcome :)