Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi, I am an aspiring designer.

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by Di3oxide, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Di3oxide

Di3oxide Junior Member

I am a student in my final year of high school and have applied for the diploma of graphic design in a certain uni in Australia. I have to send them a portfolio of designs that I made using any type of artistic medium. I chose photoshop since I was practicing with that. But before I go for the interview, I wanted to know what other experienced people over here would think of my designs. Would they be impressive enough.

The aim is not to really provide the most technical piece of work but more about how you conduct your self and express the concepts that you have. And they have to be original(no tutorial based work). I have my designs on my tumblr. PLEASE don't critique the site but the designs that are in there:

harryk

Please do not be overtly discouraging as I am not a professional designer, but rather willing to learn at a uni. But first I need to prove that I have creative potential. It's not all about the portfolio I present to them, but it plays a major role.

Thank you,

Di3oxide

2. welcome to the forum

3. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum and good luck at the interview. The work I've looked at on your tumblr seems to be mainly experimenting with photoshop, which is good, for your interview I would focus on (as you've said) the ideas and thought processes more than technical ability. They will want to know more about how you think as a designer than how nimble you are with a mouse. When I applied for my design degree (late in the previous century) all I had in my portfolio was a ton of paintings and assorted sculpture/scrapbooks from my art a-level. Not a vector or pixel in sight.

Obviously it helps to get a handle on the software you'll doubtless be using, my point is as long as you focus on your ideas and if you can clearly communicate how you take a concept to completion you'll be on the right track.

4. Di3oxide

Di3oxide Junior Member

thank you for the advice. I am glad I had the proper mindset as you did. I am intending to express my passion and imagination and what I conceptualised while making these designs rather than harp on how technical I am. I find myself an imaginative person that has taken on an individual endeavour to become a designer. I genuinely believe I only lack technical ability becuase I practically imagine things every hour and cant stop at it. Unfortunately, due to the lack of technicality I can't really express my imagination as well. This is why I am choosing to do a course, so people can help me technically. I believe if I am to master those abilities, I can achieve a high level of artistry.

As I said, this has been an individual endeavour. My school(becuase I come from an underpriveleged background), does not offer art classes and I have no one in my family who is artistic to help me. What drives me is my passion and I really wanna get into this course becuase I dont want to do anything else other than this, it's the only thing I think about every day.

I srsly do hope I get in.

5. Wardy

Wardy Active Member

Hi, and welcome.

I can see enough creativity in the work you have there work to impress a uni, but I think it needs to be a bit more diverse - throw in a few other design styles, or different media.

You could include some initial sketches or take a design and show how you produced it from concept to finished logo or whatever, as Jim says. Maybe include some of your own photography, anything creative which would show off your abilities and ideas.

Just a personal thing - lose the swear words on the site

6. Di3oxide

Di3oxide Junior Member

oops, lol, sorry bout that. That's just a bit of...aaarrgghhhh...ego(?) I only had 2 though. That site is just a muck around anyway, I will certainly not use that to present my portfolio.

As for showing my design from concept to finished art, I have that well prepared...just didn't present it here. All these designs have developmental work.

7. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

I think Wardy makes a good point. Your portfolio might look more creative with a little more diversity and photography and hand-drawn artwork would be the way to go there if you have any.

8. Di3oxide

Di3oxide Junior Member

Unfortunately because I have exams to deal with along with this portfolio, I have no time to make more designs. I don't have anything else, I wish I could do that now... but the interview is in a few weeks and in between I have xamz. DAMB.

9. Wardy

Wardy Active Member

There's nothing to stop you taking along a sketchbook/scrapbook of sketches, magazine cuttings of layouts/logos you like, photos, ideas etc. If you haven't got one, take a couple of days to do one that looks like you've put it together over the last few months.;)

10. BenJonesDesign

BenJonesDesign Active Member

Hi Harry and welcome to the Forum. I'm afraid I can't give you much help in terms of uni interviews (I dropped out at a-levels :S but I've turned out pretty well so it's all good) so what I will say is try and think about "what if". What if you don't get into uni? Well firstly don't panic, there are plenty of designers including myself that didn't go to uni, but instead we practiced like hell on the software, our skills and our creativity and got to where we are now. I've started off mucking around with photoshop, then when I got hold of copies of illustrator, indesign etc ("borrow" a copy if you can't afford it... I didn't say that) I started finding briefs on the net and joined forums like this to get critique etc and started looking for small design jobs that people needed doing. All that really worked for me and made me a much better designer and a lot of people tend to find that people who didn't go to uni but started doing design jobs at the same time, know much more than a uni student because they have proper experience.

I'm not encouraging you to not go to uni but instead showing the "what if" scenario to help you if things don't go to plan.

One thing I did notice on your portfolio is your use of language. I know you are only young and lol etc are the words to use but if a professional was looking at your work and saw the things you have said they may well be put off. It's not very good to describe your work as "some design I did using photoshop" or "some random crap" as it sounds like you don't really care. When you describe a piece you have done describe it as if you have seen it for the first time. You say that you are passionate but your descriptions say otherwise, give it some thought.

Good luck with it all and keep coming back here for critique, it will really help you.

11. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Master the art of producing a 6 week sketchbook in two nights, that skill served me well at uni, ha. And yes, if you ever want to use your tumblr as an online portfolio, definitely sort out the wording and overall language.

12. Di3oxide

Di3oxide Junior Member

thanks for the feedback. let me asure you guys that i fully understand the formality of a port site, however the website i showed u guys is not a port site but just a hang out area with my mates. nevertheless, i applied proper language and deleted all my fowl language.