Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi Guys

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by andrew, Feb 2, 2013.

1. andrew

andrew New Member

Just a thread to say hi.

I'm in the process of planning a BMX magazine based on the riding culture in Malta. All profits are going towards development of the trails, track and park.

I'm on a BA Journalism course in the UK, which is helping massively with planning content and features.
    My design skills are very amateur at the moment, but I'm teaching myself slowly with the help of Google and a CS subscription.

It's probably very naive of me to expect to simultaneously learn InDesign, design an attractive magazine, research the market, figure out all the printing options and costs, raise some cash and sell advertisements by the end of the year. But I do have a long 4 month summer and plenty of weekends between now and then.

So, I've joined to get some help on designing and printing. I might post my first attempt at magazine today, to get some guidance. It's no way final but would be great to get some pointers.

2. Corrosive

Corrosive Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum Andrew

ARRIVALS Well-Known Member

Hi there, welcome to the forum.
  4. Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the forum. And good luck!

There are lots of websites out there offering advice or tutorials for the technical aspects of what you want to do. My design advice would be:

Keep it simple. Focus on legibility, make sure there's a good hierarchy to your mag - i.e. what's important, what's less important so on - that goes for the mag as a whole and for individual articles.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice if you do post something on this site - but remember, if you do have a vision for what you want it to look like - don't be swayed by other people's opinions too much.

5. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum. Be sure to learn about paragraph styles and such like so that you can change fonts, colours, and other things across the whole magazine without having to do it manually. It will save you a lot of time and frustration.