Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi from Doric Design

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by doricdesign, Dec 2, 2011.

1. doricdesign

doricdesign Junior Member

Hello.

My name's Jenna Chambers and I just launched my graphic design company, Doric Design last week! There's so much to do so it's nice to find a forum like this where I'm in touch with other designers - it's taking some time to get used to working from home and not seeing colleagues every day.

My primary experience is in print design, ranging from magazines and brochures to exhibit displays and business cards (and anything in between). In my last role I was a Marketing and Communications Manager so I also have experience in event management, press release writing, copy editing and getting companies set up with social media.

I'm currently working with a developer to build my website and in the meantime I am blogging at Doric Design. The blog will cover graphic design and also follows my adventures through the minefield of a young person setting up their first business.

Anyone who wants to get in touch is more than welcome, I'd love to make some contacts out there! :)

Jen

2. welcome to the forum

3. WEBIAN

WEBIAN Senior Member

Welcome to DF!

4. doricdesign

Thanks guys! Actually @Greg, I've got my old employer as my first client which is great! I used to work in a networking organisation so I know a bunch of people through there. I'm just waiting for my website to be ready to go live then I can get in touch with them all and say 'I'm all set up'. Just chasing some testimonials from old clients because I did them through work rather than as freelance, it never crossed my mind to ask for testimonials at the time.

Anyone have any tips as to the mistakes most new freelancers make in this field?

Thanks,
    Jen

5. WEBIAN

WEBIAN Senior Member

My tip is this one (assuming that you actually go solo).
    Create your website as soon as possible.

6. doricdesign

Hi @WEBIAN. Have already gone solo. Wasn't the most thought out decision - my other half got a job and we had to move so it's been a case of doing work for clients and in between frantically doing all of the set up! Not ideal but sometimes you've just got to work with what you've got!

I'd got my site designed, just waiting for a quote from developers I used in my last job and I know they're pretty quick (just crossing my fingers their quote isn't horribly expensive!).

A final question naturally comes here then - anyone know any decent but quite cheap web developers if mine fall through?

Thanks for all your help and comments so far - this forum is fantastic! :)

7. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum.

Good look with your venture!

8. WEBIAN

WEBIAN Senior Member

I understand totally. I do every job I can think of if I need money, including
    wallpapering (only as a special service for friends). Love doing that actually.

Developers form India generally have the most competitive prices; they are very
    professional and friendly.

9. doricdesign

Developers from India isn't an idea I've heard before. Any chance you know of any in particular that you could recommend? My developer of choice just sent their quote....pheweee! It was WAY out with my budget which is a shame.

Thanks,
    Jen

10. Davidw

Davidw Member

Hi and welcome

One of my tips would be: get a garden office if possible to keep things separate.

- David

11. doricdesign

Dear David. Thankfully we've got a room that I use as an office and nothing else happens here so it's a case of 'going to work' when I'm in here. It's a life saver - I'm not sure I'd manage to separate home and work life otherwise! Mind you, as a brand new freelancer, I'm willing to give up night and day right now to get some contracts :)

12. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

13. GilmoreVisuals

GilmoreVisuals Active Member

Oh sorry, I forgot to reply to this post! :eek:

Welcome Jen, glad to have you on-board!

14. BenJonesDesign

BenJonesDesign Active Member

welcome to DF Jenna, and good luck!

15. doricdesign

Thanks you guys! This is such a great resource and everyone seems very supportive :)