Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi from Brasil!

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by NCC1966, Sep 6, 2016.

1. NCC1966

NCC1966 New Member

Hey fellows!

I am a 50 years old guy, married, no kids, living in a small town.

I started my professional career in Rio in late 80s making desktop publishing for several big publish houses. By that time I had a PC-XT with barely 640K of RAM and a small lo-res green screen, a huge squared Genius mouse with a ball and a heavy HP Laserjet II printer equipped with a 3rd-party postscript cartridge. My production software was Aldus PageMaker 3 (yeah, before it has been purchased by Adobe!) that ran directly over DOS. The computer was so slow that it took 15 seconds to apply an italic over a text after I stroke the F7 key. But these were good times! I was very young and never was so easy to make a bunch of money!

A couple years later I decided to start my own publish house (the bigger mistake of my life). I had my own offset printers and a bunch of employees. I ran it for 5 or 6 years and I just collected debts. Then I quit the partnership (my former partner runs the company till the day and is still starving - stupid) and went to work as an independent publisher helping independent writers to publish their books – you know poets and self-biographers eager to have their writing in a book format. I may have help those people to publish hundreds of books. Along with this I worked as a graphic designer doing tons of jobs, building websites and also teaching classes of graphic design (Photoshop, Corel, PageMaker, etc).

Around 15 years ago I came back to College and got a graduation in System Analysis (software engineering) that was my teenager roots. Then I started over coding and a couple years later (11 years ago) I had the opportunity to join this american company as a coder and web/graphic designer. Since then I work as a remote regular employee.

About one year ago I started a small home business making printed souvenirs (small decorative squares, book markers, greetings cards, posters, etc).

Besides I play some guitar (I finally recorded two albums after a 30 years delay), do some carpentry work and enjoy build small scale models. This year, after to fully recover of a recent surgery and together with a weight loss diet I am coming back to biking!

This is me!

2. hankscorpio

hankscorpio Moderator Staff Member

Hi and welcome to the forums!
  3. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the GDF
  4. Wardy

Wardy Active Member

Hey Yan, welcome to the forums.
  5. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member